Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks all i guess i will leave it alone as most have expressed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I know you decided to leave it alone, great call!!

Here is my take on it:

Officer could have just been in a stressful situation and took it out on you. We are all guilty of doing that in one form or another. I myself wouldn’t complain what I would have done was noticed his name and badge number, if possible, then called and left a friendly message for him to call me. I would then start the call out like” We got off on the wrong foot.” You might be surprised with finding out the guy may have had a bad day or heck he could have been arguing with his wife. Who knows. I know this isn’t an excuse.

We have to remember that officers deal with scenarios that most of us couldn’t deal with on a daily bases or wouldn’t want to. After all they are not machines. I am not making excuses for the guy, it was not right the way he acted.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I once had a mail man flip his lid on me... If my client wasn't out there speaking with me- I wouldn't have just said "ok i apologize" lol. There was literally no place to park on the street except in front of my clients mail box. I undrerstood that I wasn't supposed to park there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Law Enforcement Officers are carefully selected for the job that they have chosen. They are tested and evaluated while in the academy and while being trained in a particular agency to be sure they have what it takes to perform well under high stress situations. Regardless of what his prior call(s) may have entailed, losing his composure in the manner the OP described is not acceptable. LEO's cannot "go off" on people, no excuses. Truthfully, no one knows what caused his actions that day. But it needs to be dealt with before he becomes a liability to his department and his fellow officers. If his superiors don't know there's a problem they can't take corrective action. I say man up and deal with this issue.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
Law Enforcement Officers are carefully selected for the job that they have chosen. They are tested and evaluated while in the academy and while being trained in a particular agency to be sure they have what it takes to perform well under high stress situations. Regardless of what his prior call(s) may have entailed, losing his composure in the manner the OP described is not acceptable. LEO's cannot "go off" on people, no excuses. Truthfully, no one knows what caused his actions that day. But it needs to be dealt with before he becomes a liability to his department and his fellow officers. If his superiors don't know there's a problem they can't take corrective action. I say man up and deal with this issue.
If the guy had not said that he was sucking up leaves with his truck I would agree with you. When I am working with loud machines I wear my ear muffs and dont usully know what is going on outside of my task. Ill have clients come up to talk to me and I dont notice them. They usully start waving to catch my attention.
With that said maybe this cop had been waiting to get by for a while as he is blocking the road. Maybe the cop was yelling, but maybe it was because the OP just turned down the machine to idle or something.
You never get the absolute truth to a story and especially not when someone is complaing about the police.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I have mix emotions about this thread, while I have never been a cop, I have been a supervisor of men who who under some extremely stressful situations. Its never OK for someone of authority to loose there cool, even if they are having a "bad" day.
Was the yelling loosing his cool may bee. Was he out of line when he stop and rolled down his window and started yelling at you again? In my opinion yes sounds like a guy who has never been in a leadership role be four, and might need to evaluated by a his supervisor.
Now was having your truck out in traffic OK? Did drivers have to slow and merge into the other lane to go by? that's how your post reads which puts you in the wrong.
If you should contact his supervisor, I would say yes the supervisor can't fix a minor problem with out knowing about it. I say minor because that what this is, but if not corrected it could become a bigger issue for your community.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough call...I would probably let it go. Maybe this cop has a bad day, we should all be granted one mistake. You admitted you were wrong, but blocking one road is not the end of the world. Obviously this cop has issues, but I'm not sure reporting it will do you any good. As previously stated, you might stir up more trouble then good. Cops are like a brotherhood and chances are they'll hear you out but will probably tell your story to other cops and laugh about it behind your back.

I would just move on...it sucks because a uniformed cop is supposed to represent a certain image, and from what you told us he doesn't represent that at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Cops are like a brotherhood and chances are they'll hear you out but will probably tell your story to other cops and laugh about it behind your back.

I would just move on...it sucks because a uniformed cop is supposed to represent a certain image, and from what you told us he doesn't represent that at all.
1. We are a Brotherhood, but we are a PROFESSIONAL Brotherhood. We police ourselves and know that we are held to higher standards.

2. My point exactly.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Several questions need answering. What kind of street was this? Quiet residential neighborhood with few cars, a secondary two lane road with several cars per minute? What? How long were you blocking the street? Did it appear that the cop was trying to get your attention but because of the noise or your work you didn't notice him right away?

Around here in NY this would be unheard of and it's always said that people in NY have a short fuse. If I was blocking the street for a short time to get my work done nobody would give me a hard time. It actually happens all the time. If this were a busy secondary road I would have to provide flag people but in a residential neighborhood they wait or turn around.

I don't understand the officers attitude either unless you aren't telling the whole story and you were in the wrong somehow. (Blocking the road is not in the wrong unless there were cars backed up.) If it went down like you said it was totally unprofessional. I might leave it alone, but then if it pissed me off enough I would put something in writing to either the chief or the town board (whatever it's called in MA) which acts as the police commissioners. Keep it very professional, not accusatory and just state the facts and that you feel that the PO acted in a very unprofessional manner.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,
I did decide to not pursue any further communication about this matter with the police department.
Just to set the story straight.
I gave the story straight, i have absolutely no reason to slant my story at all.
I admitted right off that i should not have blocked the road.
We were on a backroad with a road twenty feet on either side of us that join together.
We did promptly move our truck for two vehicles that didnt want to go around the block.
Unfortunately we do live in a relatively small community so i would worry about the target mentality from this department.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device