Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

What is this truck worth?

Hey guys,

I have a truck in my fleet that I am contemplating what to do with and would like to ask some advice from those of you on this forum on what it might be worth to sell.

The truck is a 1996 Isuzu NPR with a 5.7 liter vin R gas job. It has a custom built 4' stakebody dump bed (16' length) with a 15,000 or 20,000# hoist (overbuilt). Mileage is about 65,000.

Early last spring, it lost the head gaskets while one of the guys was driving it and flooded the crankcase with antifreeze. Bottom end bearings are gone. Needless to say, it needs a motor or rebuild. I know those vin r 350's can be found commonly, however I do not have the time or energy to attempt to replace the motor. The interior is in average condition, the top course of the stake body is rather beat up from front loaders. Prior to loosing the engine, everything except the a/c worked great.

I'm not trying to sell the vehicle on here, so please don't lowball offer, but I am looking to get a reasonable estimate of what could be expected if I do decide to sell. For someone with a little more knowledge than myself, this could be an easy engine swap and have a low mileage dump truck. It comfortable could carry 6 yards of mulch, and I know guys who go by weight and carry 8. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the gvw on the truck, how is the frame, tires, brakes etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response Dependable,

The gvw is either 11,200 or 11,800. I don't remember off the top of my head.

Frame is straight and solid. Not a spec of rust on it. This truck was bought new in Louisiana and has spent it's whole life here.

Front brake pads are new, could maybe use some new rotors in the near future. Rear tires are probably 80%, needs two new steer tires. All tires are 16" load range E. Steering is tight, shock absorbers are in good shape as well. Exhaust system is stock, but in great shape with no damage or rust.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's worth what ever the salvage yard is willing to pay and nothing more.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got any pics.Would be helpful

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton,03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclllc View Post
Got any pics.Would be helpful
A couple of pictures:

Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't pay anything more than 4k, your truck in 16 years old, with 65k miles which is about 4k a year. That tells me you didn't use it as much, if so it didn't travel far, but what would worry me is the fact it could have hard mileage. Not saying it does, but for any truck that's used with that low of miles could mean the owner or drivers could have started the truck at seven and shut it off at four never driving it far. However if that's not the case, I would throw a motor into it and drive it. Its already payed for itself, why sell then you might need it down. the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonLandscaping View Post
I wouldn't pay anything more than 4k, your truck in 16 years old, with 65k miles which is about 4k a year. That tells me you didn't use it as much, if so it didn't travel far, but what would worry me is the fact it could have hard mileage. Not saying it does, but for any truck that's used with that low of miles could mean the owner or drivers could have started the truck at seven and shut it off at four never driving it far. However if that's not the case, I would throw a motor into it and drive it. Its already payed for itself, why sell then you might need it down. the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the response Davidson,

We are a low mileage outfit, and the truck was well used, no doubt about it. However, we are landscape architects and landscape contractors, not a maintenance firm. We run a couple of small crews, overseen by our principal, myself, and another project manager. Our trucks are used to get crew and materials to/from a single (or maybe 2 jobs) per day. Truck leaves the shop, goes to the job, and we remain on site for most of the day. If not for the head gaskets going south, we would still be using this truck on a daily basis.

However, I am not a mechanic and do not have the time and inclination to put in a new motor myself. I also don't have the current need to spend money on repairing this truck, I have other isuzus to be on the road, along with 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. Also, given what I am more frequently needing to haul these days, I need more capacity than what a NPR or really any cab over truck can haul. I will not allow these trucks to be overloaded and so a dump trailer of higher GVWR may better suit our future needs. At this point, and at a potential loss, I need the space in my building this truck is occupying more than the truck. I wish the thing still had a good engine as it would still be in use, but I can't control that. Now, I just need to find someone with the ability to tinker on this thing and get a good truck for a steal. Haven't priced one lately, but configured with this bed combo and overbuilt with a 15k# hoist, these are 50-55k new.