Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Crazy idea about making a dump trailer

So I am getting rid of my truck which has a homemade flat bed on it and I am keeping the bed. The plan was selling it, but I got to thinking that dump trailers are about 4k new. I have a flatbed, and there are tons of heavy homemade trailers around, why now make a dump trailer. Think it would be worth my when I am done?? I got on craigs list and found a lot of dump bed hydro pumps and cylinders for cheap. Here is the bed
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bump...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

You'll have to do quite a bit of engineering to make this happen, and materials may be cost prohibitive, depending on what you have access to and how heavy you're gonna build it.
First, you have to think about the fact that you will need two frames, one attached to the axles and one attached to the dump body. This is so that dump body doesn't fall apart when you raise off of the axle frame. I don't know how heavy the existing frame is in your bed, but I'm betting it's not as heavy/rigid as it needs to be, especially when you attached a hydraulic cylinder to the center and lift it.

I suggest two things.
1. Go someplace where they sell dump trailers. Look at the construction and the GVW rating for several of the same size as your bed. Then you'll need to see what the load carrying capacity of those trailers is and see if that's in the range you were thinking about. Your construction will need to be similar, number of axles, rams, ram size, etc.
2. I would find a site where engineering such things is discussed, such as TractorByNet.com. They have a build-it-yourself forum where some very knowledgeable people can offer advice on this. There are other engineering forums as well, and some sites that will help you calculate how heavy or thick the metal needs to be to endure X force applied to it, such as the weight of the cargo being lifted in the dump body.

Chris.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not worth it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending how you value your time I foresee having much more than 4k into it between time and materials. How are your welding skills and what size welder will you be using. Trailers are not good learning projects and a 110volt harbor freight welder is the wrong tool for the job. Not saying that applies to you but need to cover the bases before going any further
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy alot of 1/4inch (or heavier) stock and a good TIG welder (2-5k) or a cheaper stick welder with enough power.

And get to building!

Everything I make is imagined by me, or going off of basic pictures.

If it doesn't work, grind it off and re-weld it somewhere else!

If it breaks, weld reinforcement on it!

It wouldnt be that hard to make a dump trailer.
Hardest part I could think of is locating/powering the hydraulic pump.
Ideally you would have some sort of pto built into your truck, either a pump that would run off of the serpentine belt system, or a pto from the transmission/tcase, or a direct crankshaft mounted one.

Or get a mondo alternator (or 2) and run an electric pump.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dump trailers are subject to heavy weight rough loading and bouncing down the road. When something breaks its too late to add reinforcement, you have already been sued and lost everything including that fancy welder. Especially being a business tread lightly making your own things that can kill people if they fail
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
Dump trailers are subject to heavy weight rough loading and bouncing down the road. When something breaks its too late to add reinforcement, you have already been sued and lost everything including that fancy welder. Especially being a business tread lightly making your own things that can kill people if they fail
Posted via Mobile Device
That's why you have to build it smart, and be confident in your fabrication skills.

And subject it to extensive testing before entrusting it not to fall apart with 10k lbs of gravel in it.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Which is why I asked about said skills prior to giving any advice. Spent a few years as a union iron worker, I'm familiar with what it takes as well as what happens when its done wrong. Generally for business use 4k is not worth the liability of a failure. If you think insurance will cover you you're most likely wrong
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One could always do the unthinkable and buy it brand new from the dealer.