Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wiring a 12 volt hose reel to truck battery

I have a 12 volt electric rewind Hanney hose reel on my skid and was curious how you guys have your's wired. I'm thinking about buying a small motorcylce battery to secure on the skid. This would enable me to only have to use a few feet of wire going from the reel's solenoid to the power source. Nice and clean and the skid would be totally independent. For charging I would have a 10 gauge wire plugged into my 7-way trailer tow package on the bumper. The 10 gauge wire would go along the frame and come up through the truck bed in plastic conduit. Maybe a ring terminal or alligator clip connecting it to the skid's motorcycle battery.
These are my thoughts. Any input? I know that when I had my 5th wheel camper the 7-way plug had a 30 amp wire in the center that provided a charge to the camper's batteries while the vehicle ignition was turned on. I'm assuming I can buy a male 7-way end, hook a 10 gauge wire to it, plug it in, and run it under the truck bed, drill a hole near the sprayer, come up through the bed and clip it to the motorcyle battery. Will the battery be big enough? Will the charge be strong enough?

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2013 F-150
2013 Hawkline 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=417009

Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The center pine on a 7 way blade connector is for auxiliary funtions, you will need to use the ground and 12volt terminals on the side. This will provide you with more than enough power to keep the battery charged. I would put a fused link on the battery of 30 amps to the charging lead and 5 amps more than whatever the reel needs to run on the other lead. The cool thing is that all these parts can easily be sourced at you local Napa store. Make sure to ground the battery, harness to the trailer plug and reel motor to the frame of the spray rig.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
The center pine on a 7 way blade connector is for auxiliary funtions, you will need to use the ground and 12volt terminals on the side. This will provide you with more than enough power to keep the battery charged. I would put a fused link on the battery of 30 amps to the charging lead and 5 amps more than whatever the reel needs to run on the other lead. The cool thing is that all these parts can easily be sourced at you local Napa store. Make sure to ground the battery, harness to the trailer plug and reel motor to the frame of the spray rig.
When you say I need to use the ground and 12volt terminals on the side, do you mean "on the side" of the 7 way? Don't use the center aux wire? Use the pos and neg instead? Next question... will it only charge when the key is in the on position? Also, is there any chance it will overwork my alternator or fry a computer? What about the motorcylce battery? Too small?

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, and...ground the reel motor lead to the negative side of your small battery for best results.
Motorcycle batt is OK, but you can get a 12 volt garden tractor battery at Home Depot for about $20--if its on sale.

We are typing at the same time.
Sorry, I have no personal experience with the two battery setup you describe. I hope Knox can help.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 12-13-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
When you say I need to use the ground and 12volt terminals on the side, do you mean "on the side" of the 7 way? Don't use the center aux wire? Use the pos and neg instead? Next question... will it only charge when the key is in the on position? Also, is there any chance it will overwork my alternator or fry a computer? What about the motorcylce battery? Too small?
If the aux wire on yours is on with the truck then that would work fine, no it shouldn't be passing 30 amps through your ECM or body control modulal, it should be passing through the main fuse block under the hood. To check the center pin turn your truck on and use a volt meter or test light to see if it is energized and then check again with the key off. I you use the aux it will not charge unless the truck is running. I know on my truck the center pin was left open to use as I chose (back up lights). The battery should be strong enough to pull the hose in if recharged between stops.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 7 pin trailer harness added a few feet of wire to the aux (power)and ground. Put alligator clips on it and hook to the reel. The trailer harness is already fused from the truck fuse block under the hood. Quick plug in and out to remove from sprayer. No need to have a battery in the bed or hooked to sprayer. If you use a battery you can use a mower battery for several days without charge to wind a 300 foot hose or jumper box. That is what I had done before I made the jumper.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Yes, and...ground the reel motor lead to the negative side of your small battery for best results.
Motorcycle batt is OK, but you can get a 12 volt garden tractor battery at Home Depot for about $20--if its on sale.

We are typing at the same time.
Sorry, I have no personal experience with the two battery setup you describe. I hope Knox can help.
2 battery setup? Are you referring to my truck being a diesel and having 2 batteries under the hood? Instead of running wire from under the hood to the skid, I was just thinking about putting a small battery on the skid frame. Maybe in one of those battery holder boxes with a lid and strap, etc. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to charge the skid sprayer battery from the truck, without having to run a 110 conventional battery charger to it at night. Can I pull an electric current from my 7-way plug that will charge the motorcyle battery or lawn tractor battery while driving down the road? You answered the question about the motorcyle/tractor battery being heavy duty enough to power the reel motor under full load. From the replies it sounds like my 7-way bumper plug will supply me with a charging current once I run a wire from there to the skid sprayer battery. Correct?
In response to the other poster about the alligator clips, I'm concerned about the gauge of factory wire that goes to that 7-way plug from the main fuse box. In my opinion, that's a long stretch and I doubt it's bigger than 10 gauge under there. This is the reason I am scared to use it as my primary power source for the reel. I feel comfortable using it as a "charging" source because that's what it was designed for when hooked to a 5th wheel camper.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
2 battery setup? Are you referring to my truck being a diesel and having 2 batteries under the hood? Instead of running wire from under the hood to the skid, I was just thinking about putting a small battery on the skid frame. Maybe in one of those battery holder boxes with a lid and strap, etc. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to charge the skid sprayer battery from the truck, without having to run a 110 conventional battery charger to it at night. Can I pull an electric current from my 7-way plug that will charge the motorcyle battery or lawn tractor battery while driving down the road? You answered the question about the motorcyle/tractor battery being heavy duty enough to power the reel motor under full load. From the replies it sounds like my 7-way bumper plug will supply me with a charging current once I run a wire from there to the skid sprayer battery. Correct?
In response to the other poster about the alligator clips, I'm concerned about the gauge of factory wire that goes to that 7-way plug from the main fuse box. In my opinion, that's a long stretch and I doubt it's bigger than 10 gauge under there. This is the reason I am scared to use it as my primary power source for the reel. I feel comfortable using it as a "charging" source because that's what it was designed for when hooked to a 5th wheel camper.
Your concerns are correct about the wire and amperage draw. The battery will give you the needed capacity to wind in the hose and the smaller cable will charge the battery between stops. This system will work with 1 or 50 batteries uner the hood doesn't matter. I have never wired up a hose reel or even used one for that matter, I just have many years of experiece in the auto electric field and about a year in doing R&D work for a battery manufactor.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Your concerns are correct about the wire and amperage draw. The battery will give you the needed capacity to wind in the hose and the smaller cable will charge the battery between stops. This system will work with 1 or 50 batteries uner the hood doesn't matter. I have never wired up a hose reel or even used one for that matter, I just have many years of experiece in the auto electric field and about a year in doing R&D work for a battery manufactor.
Thanks for the reply and answering my question. I'm going to go with a lawn tractor battery at TSC for $25. 10 gauge wire wrapped in plastic conduit from autozone that runs the length of my truck bed from the bumper to the sprayer (zip tied to the frame) underneath. At one end I will install a male 7-way plug. At the other end I will crimp a ring terminal on that bolts to the lawn tractor battery. I'll just drill a small hole in the bed near the sprayer, route the wire up and secure it to the battery. Might even install a quick connect near the top of the battery so I don't have to remove the ring terminal when moving the sprayer. I'll post pics soon.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer

Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pics

Well I received the molded chain gaurd and solenoid I ordered from Hanney. I Bought a small 12v battery and battery box from Autozone, used self tapping screws to secure the battery box to the bed of my truck. I wired everything up and wrapped the wiring in conduit. Everything works great. Just thought I would show you guys how it turned out.
Attached Images

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
2013 F-150
Echo Handhelds
Custom Built Sprayer