Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

17 hp pto

Well, looks like I worked out a deal on that little Kioti I was asking about in another thread. It's the LB1914, comes with a 60" rear finish mower, 3 pt scoop and a 72" rear blade, has a ROPS with a roof as well. I think it'll suit my needs, since I really don't even need a tractor. But I'm hoping to use it for Brush mowing, drilling holes for fence posts, maybe use it to plow a driveway here or there and I might eventually build a log splitter for it. The splitter can be either powered from a rear pto pump or I can add rear hydro lines to this unit from what I understand. might be best to add the lines in case i wanna use them for something else as well.

my questions are what type of implements can I expect to use with this little tractor. the pto is rated at 17hp so I'm thinking a 48" bush hog will be OK, if I gotta use a 5 fter, I can just offset the mower a little bit and use 4 ft out of the 5 instead and slow down if needed. Also, will the 17hp pto run a 3 pt dirt auger? I'd think that'd be plenty seeing as how those two man deather augers are like 5 hp. what about the hydraulics on the tractor itself? will that run a splitter if I install the rear lines. the specs says it's got a 6gpm open hydro system. will that cycle a 4" or 6" ram in a timley fashion? I'd liek to put a big 6" bore ram on whatever I make to increase splitting power, even if it's slower. I'm just thinking out loud here but this will be the first compact tractor I've owned. I'll probably sell the rear scoop and finish mower as I can't see a use for these, for me anyway. maybe I'll get a FEL as well down the road.

any info's much appreciated. thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

??????

anybody????
Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a similiar sized machine- 19 PTO HP- I am shopping for a rough cut mower as well and would not consider larger than 54" and then only for light material- the issue with RC mowers is not the amount that they are cutting but the weight of the cutting blade as they don't cut as much as they smash materials using the weight of the blade- the weight of larger RC mowers can really strain the PTO system at engagement because of the inertia needed to get a heavier blade started moving. Also, you need to decide between shear pin and clutch- if not using frequently the clutch can rust together and actually not offer any protection- you need to "break" apart the clutch faces everytime you use it unless it is used regularly.

If I were building a log splitter I would look for a pto driven pump- the GPM flow is going to pretty slow on that machine I think.

Make sure you get a cat 0 PHD- the height of the machine is often a limiting factor. i'm surprised that machine can handle a 72" blade as a 60" pushes my machine around with a heavy load.
Stihl FS110R- Edger/135* Bar Hedge trimmer
HS 81T
Stihl FS110R- string
Stihl 290 Farm Boss 20" bar
Poulan Pro 16" bar
Poulan Pro 18" Bar
Stihl HT101 Pole Saw
Stihl MM55
Stihl BG86
Stihl BR550
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300- 2350 Loader w/ toothbar, 60" Kioti Aerator, 48" dethatcher, 60" back blade, 48" box blade, 3PTH pallet forks/carry all, 48" lawn roller
Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

To add on what he said and auger would not be a issue. You got to figure this will do anything a 25hp mini skid would do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the big implement companys have a pto hp recommendation for the implements they build. You can run a 48" cutter with 17 hp, but i myself wouldnt go any bigger. Its always better to have a few extra horses on a smaller implement than a larger underpowered implement!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the help. what about a flail mower instead of a bush hog? a tractor this small isn't going to be wacking thru trees anyway. I'm planning to use this to do some rough mowing/high weeds/brush/briars. would a flail mower require less HP to run efficiently? if say I'm stuck using a 48" rotatary bush hog, could I maybe get away a 60" flail or even would a 48" flail offer any advantages over a rotary cutter? or vice versa? also, what about a 3 pt chipper? I've seen a few on C-list for around 1000 bucks. would 17 hp run a small chipper or am i crazy?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
thanks for the help. what about a flail mower instead of a bush hog? a tractor this small isn't going to be wacking thru trees anyway. I'm planning to use this to do some rough mowing/high weeds/brush/briars. would a flail mower require less HP to run efficiently? if say I'm stuck using a 48" rotatary bush hog, could I maybe get away a 60" flail or even would a 48" flail offer any advantages over a rotary cutter? or vice versa? also, what about a 3 pt chipper? I've seen a few on C-list for around 1000 bucks. would 17 hp run a small chipper or am i crazy?
A flail I think would require less hp but not sure and I think they do a ton better job anyways. Yes it would run a small chipper fine. They make chippers with less than 10 hp gas engines. I would think you could take up to 3 inch diameter brush. Maybe 4inch. You have a diesel so if you are use to gas engines add about 5hp to your engine if that helps your thinking on stuff. That engine would power a 60inch ztr at 10.5 mph cutting 3 inches off of thick grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't think I would try to run bigger than a 12" auger- especially if it is PTO shaft driven PHD- lots of stress on the PTO drive train with no bypass/relief(typically)- would have a sher pin but if the pin doesn't break then the drivetrain will.
Stihl FS110R- Edger/135* Bar Hedge trimmer
HS 81T
Stihl FS110R- string
Stihl 290 Farm Boss 20" bar
Poulan Pro 16" bar
Poulan Pro 18" Bar
Stihl HT101 Pole Saw
Stihl MM55
Stihl BG86
Stihl BR550
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300- 2350 Loader w/ toothbar, 60" Kioti Aerator, 48" dethatcher, 60" back blade, 48" box blade, 3PTH pallet forks/carry all, 48" lawn roller
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesa20 View Post
I don't think I would try to run bigger than a 12" auger- especially if it is PTO shaft driven PHD- lots of stress on the PTO drive train with no bypass/relief(typically)- would have a sher pin but if the pin doesn't break then the drivetrain will.
thats what the clutch is for. with my kubota the clutch will slip before the engine completely stalls. It keeps things from snapping.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well, I was able to finalize a deal on this little Kioti yesterday. I ran to pick it up today. it was a 470 mile round trip but def worth it. I traded my quad plus some cash for it. It's the Kioti LB1914 20 hp 4x4 with turf tires. I have a serial number but doesn't seem to match anything online so I'm not sure on the year. But it's got power steering and I know the only started making those in 1998 or something like that. so it's newer than I originally thought. The seller included a bunch of small extras like 3 point linkages, 6 gallons of hydro oil, 10 gallons of diesel with 2 cans and some misc hardware and pins. Also included was a 60" Kioti brand rear mower, a 70" rear scraper blade and a 3 point bucket scooper thinger that doesnt look like it was ever used. the tractor has about 470 hours on it, everything works and looks good with the only bad thing being the front tires are dry rotted a bit, but they hold air and have good tread. it also has a ROPS canopy.

my plan is to sell the mower and scooper thinger, keep the blade for now, and look for a 4 or 5 ft brush hog with the intention of opening some doors to more work. Not planning to make a killing with this little tractor, but I hope to use it to get some jobs I wouldn't otherwise be able to do like brush moweing & fencing installs. I'm still brainstorming on what else to offer with this machine. My main goal is use this to do some job that will lead to seasonal mowing accounts. so if you have any ideas on how I can put this to use to earn some $ and gain more seasonal accounts, I'm all ears. theres no loader (yet) and it has no rear remotes. It also only has a 6gpm hydro pump. I was gonna add rear remotes but think I'll skip it and get a rear pto hydro pump and build a splitter. this will be mainly for my own use and save me a lot of labor. I heat with wood.

heres a few pics
Attached Images