Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Navigator ?

I recently bought a demo navigator from a dealer, it only had 10 hours on it so it was basically new. I've always ran the Lazer Z's with mulching kits or the ultra vac so I don't know much about them. I've had it for about 3 weeks and it has been at the shop more than it's been on my trailer. First, the door had a gap in it that was allowing leaves to blow out. Then the alarm was messing up and wouldn't come on when the container was full. Now i'm having a problem with leaves coming out of the vent on the back of the door. I asked my dealer about it and they said it was doing it because we haven't had a lot of rain lately and the leaves were so dry. Is it suppose to be doing this? It's not throwing every leaf out the back but it's throwing enough so that I have to run over the same spot twice and in some areas 3 times in order to get all of the leaves out of the yard. This is the first navigator that I've owned and when I purchased it I was thinking I was getting the best vacuuming mower that exmark offered. But, after using it on a few yards it doesn't hold a candle to the job the LazerZ with the bagging system on it does.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

My first post here! I purchased 2 efi navigators at the beginning of 2012 and they have been nothing short of exceptional. I also purchased a 1 yr old walker and it has also been very good. Sounds like your dealer isnt very knowledgable on what they sell. My guess is that if you take your screen out of the hopper the far end will be open, which is where your leaves are coming out of. simply undo the wing nuts on the other end and the end section of screen can be switched to provide screen coverage for the whole hopper. When mowing wet grass simply switch it back.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, I put 625hrs on both my navigators and about 125 on the walker this season, so if I can answer any other questions ask away.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. I've brought it up more than once in the last week and their response is staying pretty consistent with the "it's so dry" comment. I'm pretty sure the screen is open like you talk about. I left it at the dealer this morning because the alarm is still messed up so I can't look at it right this minute. They mentioned I could get a piece of hardware cloth or something similar and bolt it inside the container to keep leaves from getting on top of the screen. I'm not against doing something like that if it will prevent the leaves from coming out. I just don't feel like I should be having to make modifications to a mower that I just spent $12,000 for. You would think something that expensive would do what it's made to do without you having to "rig" it up.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

No you shouldnt have to make any mods on a new machine. Mine work perfectly
on leaves once the screen is flipped back around to block the whole opening. In fact they almost get every single leaf. The suction is amazing. Hopefully they will figure it out. If not only takes a minute to do it yourself.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd love to hear either of your opinions of the navigator all together.

currently I'm running a 52" grandstand. side discharging and bagging as needed in the spring and summer and bagging in the fall for leaves.

been thinking about a navigator but one I can't get my dealer to give me a price on one and thus I haven't asked my other questions.

like, I use my truck bed for clippings. is there a high lift kit like walker or a 2 tub system like walker has.

what about setting the rear door open for discharge like walker and how hard is it to keep those clippings out of mulch beds when turning. like do the clipping get shot straight back or more down towards the ground.

what about when it gets plugged. where does it get plugged at and is it easy to unplug.

I also hear walkers are a lot more maintenance. is this true cause I'm sure navigators would have a similar amount.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

No high lift for the navigator but tub kit is available. We bag everything here in idaho but you could rear discharge with the door open just like the walker but keeping the clippings out of the bed would be tough as the clippings would be directed mostly straight back. When they plug, which isnt often, its usually under the deck at the inlet to the blower. You just flip the deck up and unclog it. Not a big deal, only takes a minute but the deck is heavier than the walker. Occasionally they will plug between blower and hopper but its easy to unplug. As far as maintenance between the walker and navigator, there is slightly more with the walker but really not a big deal. Walker has more grease points but many of them only need grease a couple times a year. I like the swing out gas tank on the navi for blowing things off but oil changes and such are very similar. I think belts are easier on the walker but really not bad on the navigator once you have figured out the tricks. They each have their positives and negatives but overall both are very good mowers
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

what is normal maintenance for a navigator.

for me my grandstand is very simple. daily there is pretty much nothing except making sure things are kept clean, like debris away from the air intake and away from the mower belt.

weekly i clean the air filter.

then of course there is the greasing that are done at certain hours.

but besides greasings, belts, filters, oil, there really isn't much to it.

maybe when people say there is more maintenance they mean like more of that stuff, like more areas to grease.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had my navigator for a while and it's the best mower I've ever had. The screen can be a little funny. Please under stand that everything has limitations. Not that your doing this but You can't go 10mph over 2 feet of leaves and expect it to pick them all up and when it doesn't say it's a piece of s#it. They are great machines, heavy duty, low maintenance and vacuum/groom and cut properties well. I bought mine used and it didn't have a screen so I zipped tied hardware screen in it and its doesn't miss to many leaves. Overall they are great machines and just as good if not better than the yellow machine. I'm not here to start a ford verse Chevy debate, just let you know my experience with them. Ill be happy to answer any questions you have about them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Normal maintenance for me is mow mon tues wed then i sharpen blades blow everything off and grease the driveshaft, mow thurs fri sat then grease everything, sharpen blades, blow everything off, clean outer filter and check tire pressure. I do this on both the walker and navigators. Blades are sharpened more frequently in the spring and fall. There are quite a few more grease zerks on the walker but a lot of those only need grease once in a while