Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting Under Bushes For Fall Cleanups

If you don't get every leaf out of the bushes with a blower, do you get on your hands and knees and crawl under shrubs and bushes to get leaves that are left
thats what one customer expected , and they didn't want to pay extra.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I suppose I'm confused. You were performing a fall leaf clean up and you are upset that the client expected your price to include taking care of even the leaves that you can't blow out from under the bushes? Did your price include dealing with all the leaves? Did you spell out that your price was only to blow out what you could from beneath the bushes? When I estimate a clean up I look at that sort of situation and figure out what it's going to take to achieve certain things. Leaves under bushes is one of those things. Typically I can blow all the leaves out from under bushes if I am the one who has been maintaining them. If not, then usually a couple minutes with a rake in my hand does the trick. But I suppose I haven't answered the question you posed yet. No, I do not get on my hands and knees and crawl under bushes to get the remaining leaves out. A blower and a rake works just fine for me. I wouldn't want someone half-assing a clean up if it was my property.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't get down on my hands and knees and pick up leaves, my blowers are powerful enough to that or if i have to i'll use a rake, but im not ocd about it and my customers aren't either i get 99.9 percent of the leaves out from under any bush, plant or vines, or ground covering. I do excellent work at an affordable price.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge by the hour and estimate hours (for non-contracted accounts); if they don't like leaves stuck under the bushes they know they will have to pay more. Very rarely does anyone get upset about a small amount left behind. Our blowers are too pretty strong and the only reason a rake comes off the truck for a leaf service is to help level out tall piles in the compost zone.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We blow out what we can and what doesn't blow we definitely don't get on our hands and knees to pick out. That is very time consuming and time is the name of the game.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

i try to rake the bulk up and blow the rest away with my back pack.. if theres a leaf or two left and i cant get it i do get it with my hands unless its not really visible...
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I get everything I can wit the blowers or rake if needed...most customers dont mind if not every single leaf is picked up cause the wind blows leaves all over the neighborhood so theres no way to keep every single leaf off the property
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

When I do leaf removal it's what I can get with a rake or blower what ever stays under bushes stays. If they want a leafless yard they will be paying a lot more to get me on my hands and knees to do so.
2014 K&K 20ft landscape trailer
2013 x739 4x4 with 54in HC deck / 60in HD Broom
2010 Toro Grandstand 48in
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will use my hands on rose bushes or other pricker shrubs. Once the thorn goes into the leaf it's not efficient to try to blow them free plus my guys will remove all the mulch trying if you let them so yes on the hands no on the knees.