Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro HD - 22195 Honda vs 22197 Kawa

Done quite a bit of researching and came up with some info on these mowers, but not a ton. In a nutshell I'm in the market or at least a "light" commercial 21" push mower. Looked at the Honda HRX and HRC. HRC was impressive, but I like simple and I don't want a BBC on my mower for the way in which I use it. The less moving parts on a machine, the more I like it. Whether I need full commerical or not, I decided to bite the bullet and just go with what I want at this point and get a top notch mower that will last me. So Ive narrowed it down to the 2 Toro's in question - which seem more of what I'm looking for. The drive system on them seems proven and reliable from what I know and no BBC. 22195 has the Honda engine - same as on the HRC216 I believe. $1149. 22197 has the Kawasaki - $1049. From what I know, both are solid, but Kawa is more powerful. Would anyone here find the Honda motor to be worth the additional $100?

Also - did find a thread where a guy supposedly had like 10 22195 mowers and ALL of them had an engine mount or something (don't recall the exact part in question) that just split and broke at the same exact point? Anyone know of any consistent or known issues with these Toro HD mowers? I found it quite odd to read that a full grade commercial mower (TEN of them!) all just having a flaw like this.

Last edited by jod78; 03-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.toro.com/en-us/profession...aspx?pid=22195

http://www.toro.com/en-us/profession...aspx?pid=22197

I like Honda but the Kawasaki engine has Pressurized lubrication with a filter and more power .I would go with Kawasaki in this case.

http://kawpower.com/engines/fj-kai/fj180v-kai
Old 03-24-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks man. Went with the 22195 Honda. Very impressive mower at least from what I see in build quality. These toros have a much shorter handle but I honestly like it lower. Had my eye on the HRC216 and I have no doubt it's a great mower but the Toro seems a much simpler design and easier for me to service on my own with the belt drive etc.
Posted via Mobile Device