Honda 21 4 years
Stihl trimmers 2 years
Stihl blower 2 year
Johndeere zero turns 5 years or 3000 hrs
Skidsteer 7 years 4000 hr
Dingo 7 years. 4000 hr
Old 08-02-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner here. Longevity was a big issue in my research for "my perfect mower". I tend to keep things a long time. With the two units below, I have cut my grass since '95.

I have a JD345 (515 hours on the clock) that cuts the inner yard, along with a Kubota L2900 w/72" groomer (520 hours on the clock) that cuts the outer yard.

They cut well, but are very slow. Together they took more than four hours to cut the 3.5 acre yard. I chose a Scag Cheetah (purchased in mid June) to do the job of those two units above. The Cheetah cuts my yard in 1-1/2 hours total.

I anticipate about forty hours of cutting grass per season. SO.... I'm thinking that in twenty five years, I should have about 1125 hours on the clock. That's well within the area of expectation for this category of ZTR.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

commercial use, I do 23 accounts a week on average

scag tiger cub had 985 hours on it when i traded it in in 2012 still operated like new, and looked like new and I bought it new in 2005 so I used it for 7 years and it was like new still. so that says something about scag.

scag cheetah 15 years. but I'll sell it around 10 years old probably
sthil br600 10 years.
stihl km130r 10 years
echo hc150 7 years. Its a homeowner model, but its been through hell and back and still starts and runs like new.
husky 326ls and 326xl x2 the xl's are already 6 years old, I expect another 6 years out of those.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ryobi 720r, 18 years old. I have worn out attachments, but the powerhead keeps on going strong. Stupid thing - can't justify the KM130 to the wife as long as it keeps working.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish we could see hrs on hand held. We have blown 4 Stihl multi heads in 6 years. Countless. Stihl 600. When i say blown. There beyond repair as lost compression or locked up. That brings me to my next point in the 10 years how many hrs? I know it a impossible number but make me fill better at the end of the day. Buying all this 2 stroke is getting old. I just say its part of the buis. Ill say this my 3 man crews use 5 gal of mixed gas a day. I also have multiple days where they only do two properties. So a guy might string trim for 6-7 hrs
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What I expect is usually not what I get.

Truck 20 years or 250,000 miles. Im half way there.

Handhelds 10 years. My sthil kombi stuff only seems to last 5 years, switching to shindawia next time. Shindawia blower is 12 years old looks rough but works great.

Mowers 10 years or 2500 hours, hard to get to that point but Im trying.

telephone lasts until first rain shower

Most other stuff goes bad just from sitting
Old 08-03-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
What I expect is usually not what I get.

Truck 20 years or 250,000 miles. Im half way there.

Handhelds 10 years. My sthil kombi stuff only seems to last 5 years, switching to shindawia next time. Shindawia blower is 12 years old looks rough but works great.

Mowers 10 years or 2500 hours, hard to get to that point but Im trying.

telephone lasts until first rain shower

Most other stuff goes bad just from sitting
that's not good if you have stuff that goes bad from sitting. sounds like you shouldn't have bought it if you really don't use it that much. I don't use my little wonder leaf blower except for spring and fall, but I bought it with the honda engine which will last for 10 years easily even sitting for as much as it does. same with your cell phone, my Iphone 5 is in the rain all the time, I don't leave it in my pocket while working but its gets wet all the time works fine. and you should get more then 20 years out of your truck and 250,000 miles. my truck is 16 years old at 283,000 miles and still runs fine, body looks fine and that's being a new england plow truck with a 2 yard sander in the bed. I don't have plans of getting rid of it anytime soon. probably have hang some fenders and a bed on the truck in another 3-4 years but for a 3500 dollar diesel 4x4 how could anyone even complain about spend 2-3000 on a truck that will have given such a huge return.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RSK I do hope my truck lasts much longer than 250k, is has the old style 350chevy and those are stil reasonable to repair. I probably do have too much equiptment, but I got great deals on all of it so its just as good as money in the bank.

I put 700$ in old truck last winter, may do some more stuff this winter, at least wash it lol.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
RSK I do hope my truck lasts much longer than 250k, is has the old style 350chevy and those are stil reasonable to repair. I probably do have too much equiptment, but I got great deals on all of it so its just as good as money in the bank.

I put 700$ in old truck last winter, may do some more stuff this winter, at least wash it lol.
those engines are cheap to replace as well, the motors are dirt cheap, the transmission is dirt cheap, the rear ends are dime a dozen and i'm guessing yours is 2wd since you don't get any snow or anything down there, so you don't have to worry about rust. but my 97 f350 is built to last for 500,000 miles there's even some with closer to 1,000,000 miles on them. no rebuilds on the motor. but 300,000 is easy to find, 400,000 isn't even that special for a 7.3
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I sell all my trucks at 200k miles. Yeah it may be cheap to replace Items and I've put my share of trans, motors, rear ends, etc. but from what I've had after 200k the trucks are down to often. Which means I get behind which I can not afford. A $100.00 part can cost me $1000.00 worth of production. Same thing for Equitment.