Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Green Ash EAB treatment

I have two Green ash trees in my back yard. One is ~16" diameter and 35' tall and the other is ~14" diameter and 30' tall. They are allright trees but earlier this year when I had an arborist come to the house i was enlightened as to why they were allright and not great trees I found out they are being attacked by EAB. He didnt say how long he thought they had been being attacked but he showed me the signs.

He said to use Bayer tree & shrub defense dumped in the dripline around springtime I believe.

The guy seemed vey knowledgeable and was very nice. But I just want to see if there are any other better alternatives out there for my trees.

Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Guys use Arborjet out there ,could have someone come and shoot ,Should be good for about 2 years.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know that the guy that came out knew what he was talking about. EAB has not been seen in St. Louis yet. It's possible that it's some other borer but not EAB. We use a Mauget injection to control borers.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a link.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,461...298---,00.html
Click that part about signs and symptoms. Look for upper branches dying.
The latest and best is Tree-age solution. Superior results--lasts more than one year--needs professional injection.
For myself and homeowners, the Bayer Tree and Shrub is a good bet. Contains imidicloprid. Pour solution around base of the ash trees about when leaves reach full size in spring. It has worked at my daughter's house--so far... neighbors...not so lucky. We have lost thousands of ash trees around here.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Im fairly certian he said EAB but I could be mistaken. The tree isnt really showing any signs of distess but you can see in the crotches where the bark is loose and he pulled a larvae out from the wood.
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The most important early sign (aside from dozens of dead trees along your streets) is the presence of D-shaped exit holes in the bark. They are shaped like a capital D with the flat side down. Slightly less than 1/4th inch wide. The larvae of the borer make these holes when the leave the tree.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can see signs it is almost too late depending.

What signs? Exit holes? Dying canopy? Have you stripped some bark to look for trails?

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, he showed me the D holes, loose bark in the crotch and some minor spots where the bark is a bit loose. There seems to be no dead branches or leaved areas during foliage time anywhere as of yet though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper12 View Post
I don't know that the guy that came out knew what he was talking about. EAB has not been seen in St. Louis yet. It's possible that it's some other borer but not EAB. We use a Mauget injection to control borers.
That can't be true. They've been in central Illinois for at least 3 years and should have made their way down there by now.

Imidicloprid is the effective treatment. Depending on the size of the tree, The Bayer product with Merit will work, but I personally feel you could spend too much for the over-the-counter product for larger trees. At that point I'd call an arborist to do a root injection.

Another thing to think of also is the amount of money that might be spent to save these trees. By the time you figure the cost to treat them over their lifetime, you could have already cut it down and had a new tree started.

And what if your treatment fails, you're still stuck with having to cut and replace the tree.

I tell people to let them go until they die. There is probably a concerted effort of people out there holding onto Ash seeds and seedlings in confined treated areas, so if the bore does it's number and disappears, the Ash will flourish again.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
That can't be true. They've been in central Illinois for at least 3 years and should have made their way down there by now.

Imidicloprid is the effective treatment. Depending on the size of the tree, The Bayer product with Merit will work, but I personally feel you could spend too much for the over-the-counter product for larger trees. At that point I'd call an arborist to do a root injection.

Another thing to think of also is the amount of money that might be spent to save these trees. By the time you figure the cost to treat them over their lifetime, you could have already cut it down and had a new tree started.

And what if your treatment fails, you're still stuck with having to cut and replace the tree.

I tell people to let them go until they die. There is probably a concerted effort of people out there holding onto Ash seeds and seedlings in confined treated areas, so if the bore does it's number and disappears, the Ash will flourish again.

That's a very good point. The Bayer treatment isn't what I would call cheap but then again, I'm not sure how many treatments I could get out of a ~$124 jug of the stuff or even if the shelf life of the product would not allow me to use the same jug for multiple years?

They shade the rear of my house pretty well and like I said there is no sign of leaf damage/branches being dead at this point.

I know green ashes' grow pretty quickly and I would just hate to wait 20 years or so for a newly planted tree to be the size these ashes' are right now.
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!