Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't decide what to do

Sold out 2 years back and regretted ever since...

well I'm going to start back up here in the spring of 2013, been advertising and have a few jobs lined up, anyways that's not the problem lol

need advice

I left a job I was working at part time while doing landscaping after i sold out and moved an hour north last december to take an insurance job that was way better in person than it actually was in real life... I worked for the insurance company for about 6 months then came to a conclusion i was getting shafted by my agent everyday... so i kindly gave my two weeks and went to work for a car dealership that offered me a postion... while at the dealership i'm really raking it in and selling a lot of cars... well a lay off comes around and and I had only been there 2 months or so... so no loyalty in the car biz even if you're good... so i get basically this option... if you dont work here 6 days a week 10-12 hour days then we don't need you (I wanted 2 days off to see my son and spend time with family and basically just take a break working 12 hour days not seeing him and dealing with clients is more mentally exhausting than anything)... so after doing that for 2 months i had enough gave my two weeks and now work in the insurance field again... well im sitting here its 12:42pm, I've made 61 phone calls, left 40 voicemails, and sent 27 emails...

this morning my boss who is a great guy to work for he really is... tells me how well I'm doing and that he has big plans for me... (great thing to hear except) he goes I'm raising your goal by 10 items per month... and if you can't hit the goals you know the rule you're out of here... well I'm busting my arse everyday calling calling calling and setting appointments I can't force these people to buy... I don't think I have any problem hitting the goals but raising it 10 has actually put some 2nd thought in my head...

ok the rant is about over... what should I do, I don't know whether to stick it out here until spring then work here and start back lawn care orrrrrr should i leave here now and go get a less mindful job like working at lowes etc. i realize i should be in the corporate world because I'm good at selling but the problem is I don't have the motivation to sit at my desk 10 hours a day and make 150 phone calls... i would rather work with my hands or doing something more physical rather than being a pencil pusher... this is why i have such a passion for construction work and landscape field.

Do i stay at this insurance gig (been here for 6 weeks) where my boss is great but I don't have any motivation to do the work that I do or do I find somehting else and then go full board come spring?

I'm really caught I know it's very bad to look like a job hopper but I've only had 1 ladnscpae gig from 16-20yrs old, food market place from 16-18 a part time job at a furniture place from 18-20 then i kind of hit the hop around action this past year
Old 12-04-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

don't get me wrong it's easy work, just mentally exhasuting more than anything else lol...

But I work construction on the weekends and I have such a motivation to do that and look forward to the weekend so I can work on the site...

my hours are easy hours, theres no benefits though health care etc. I just can't stand doing this type of work but I don't want to leave another job but then again I do want to leave... not sure what I can do in order to keep myself motivated... i'm making way less than the car sales i was doing... making enough to barely survive in all honesty but I'm making it work the best I can
Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Where in southern ohio are you? I am a used car manager at a Kia dealer, we might need a guy soon.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by show-n-go View Post
Where in southern ohio are you? I am a used car manager at a Kia dealer, we might need a guy soon.

Lived in West Chester for most of my life, I live in dayton now but I am planning on moving back to fairfield/wyoming area...

wouldnt be Kia on rt.4 would it?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I did work at Kia on Rt 4 earlier this year. I work at Kia in Huber Heights right now but i live in Liberty Twp. I used to run Superior Hyundai Used cars on rt 4 for 10 years.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by show-n-go View Post
I did work at Kia on Rt 4 earlier this year. I work at Kia in Huber Heights right now but i live in Liberty Twp. I used to run Superior Hyundai Used cars on rt 4 for 10 years.
I actually live off 202 in Huber lol...

ahhh gotcha... yea I just bought my 17th car/truck last week... have had 17 cars/trucks and 2 bikes lol... I'm kinda addicted to buying selling and trading cars and trucks but I've slowed down a good amount
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

The job you take to get you to spring is not the important thing. Of course, you should do something that will allow you to see the kids but otherwise what you decide to do will only last for four months.

What's important is to realize that you aren't cut out to be someone's employee. You should stick with being self employed. If you want to hire employees fine, but don't try to work for anyone else again.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it's time to go to Lowes or HD.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterCutter View Post
The job you take to get you to spring is not the important thing. Of course, you should do something that will allow you to see the kids but otherwise what you decide to do will only last for four months.

What's important is to realize that you aren't cut out to be someone's employee. You should stick with being self employed. If you want to hire employees fine, but don't try to work for anyone else again.

Yea, I think you're right... I feel bad for the guy I'm working for but I fit in great, I'm good at selling I just have motivation to sell this stuff anymore... I would rather do my construction gig on the weekend all day everyday 12 hours a day rather than do what I do now.

I think you got it right I honestly didn't think of it that way lol rather be employed by myself rather than someone else.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Sounds like it's time to go to Lowes or HD.
lol tell me about it... I'm thinking the same thing everyday but don't want to leave to go work somewhere for a few months.