Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dormant Seeding: A Pictorial

In a similar vein as Riggle's seeding of April 26,,, I've started the Dormant Seeding process in earnest now that we have a high frequency of the freeze/thaw cycle and a chance of snow cover this weekend...
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I shot a dozen different photos in several different lawns but I end up with very little in the way of consistantly 'clear shots'... I can't always hold the camera still as I pull the trigger on it...

This is a good sample in that the aeration holes give a good indication of size and scope and the rough looking surface is due to freeze/thaw cycle... If anyone has photos of the 'Pimpley Ground' that occurs in the freeze/thaw routine plz post here, in case I don't get good shots of it...
This ground was an excellent example of it, before the rain hit, but I added seed and we'll see what happens to it next...

Anyone have any ideas???
Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When was this seed put down? What blend did you use?

I did aeration and dormant seeding here in s/e mich for the first time. Usually do it first week of October. My fert guy recommended that I do this since he says he has great results. I did it around Nov 12. He says he always freezes his grass seed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar lawn View Post
When was this seed put down? What blend did you use?

I did aeration and dormant seeding here in s/e mich for the first time. Usually do it first week of October. My fert guy recommended that I do this since he says he has great results. I did it around Nov 12. He says he always freezes his grass seed
Posted via Mobile Device
I've been putting seed down in various locations since the beginning of November whenever I come across bare spots... the seed here looks like a recent application, just before/after the rains came in...
The blend is a typical Shady Mix from Jay-Mar and is made up of a couple types of Fescue, KBG and Per. Ryegrass...

I remember one lady's lawn that she said was put in by her parents and neighbors which was brand new,,, tilled, ammended and leveled bare soil... it was seeded on Nov. 10th a lot of years ago... one of the best lawns that I have ever had the pleasure of caring for... in fact it would probably be a great example of a 'mature lawn'...

good luck with your venture...
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice shot, Ax. This should be interesting. I have some seed I applied November 17, 2012. Looks about the same. I used 3 ounces seed on one square yard, just over 20 lbs per sqft. Seed was Scotts perennial rye. Neglected, lawn with no irrigation. Had lots of weeds and crabgrass. No soil preparation at all. Light rains. Temp 39 degrees at the moment. Also same seed sown in a cup outdoors plunged into the soil. So far, no sign of germination. Inside--same seed...germinated and about 4 inches tall at the maximum.
I will probably sow more seed in the months ahead--probably on top of snow.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm hoping to get out there and get some shots of the tiny volcanoes formed by freeze/thaw working the seed into the soil, tomorrow... our snow chances have been reduced to 5 hours overnite, tonite...

One thing about next Spring's Germination, it will be easy to tell the regular Fall plantingfrom the dormant seeding because our regular seeding has already matured enough to see that it is older...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here we have a couple of shots that shows the pimply ground starting to swallow the seed during the freeze/thaw cycle...
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like a lot of moss there. Is that lack of sun ?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Almost all of my lawns are shaded and moss will grow in the barespots,,, so having the seed plant itself makes it nice...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

subscribed...i never thought of the freeze/thaw "pimples" when dormant seeding, as i have never done it, but i know exactly what you are talking about now that i think about it...this is very interesting small axe, i want to see the results in late winter/early spring already...