Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotis View Post
What temps does dormant seeding usually start to germinate in the north east? What if daytime temps are averaging 50 but night time is high 30's. Does it need to be above 50 night and day?
Soil temperatures are the important ones... reportedly 50+ degrees F. for soil temperatures to get cool-season grasses to germinate... soil temps of 55+ for crabgrass...

Here is where the sun beating down on the soil , or the soil being shaded by grass, makes a big difference as to,,, what germinates and when...
Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We usually do not seed until the grass has greened up--perhaps about mid April in an average year. Air temps of about 50, as daily highs. Naturally, seedling emergence is slow, and below 32 at night happens often. I think I have seen new grass emerge in late April--but not sure--so I want to try it for myself.
We still have snow in shaded areas.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
We usually do not seed until the grass has greened up--perhaps about mid April in an average year. Air temps of about 50, as daily highs. Naturally, seedling emergence is slow, and below 32 at night happens often. I think I have seen new grass emerge in late April--but not sure--so I want to try it for myself.
We still have snow in shaded areas.
Wow, you guys are better off on that side of the Lake... we still have snow in sunny areas,,, over a foot of it in most places...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Wow, you guys are better off on that side of the Lake... we still have snow in sunny areas,,, over a foot of it in most places...
True story. I'm hoping the slit seeding we did in September and October pops up this spring, after the extremely dry fall we had. I'm thinking most of the KBG 50% should have went dormant, or started growing roots right before it got cold. Good luck guys.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think my dormant seeding in CT will have time to germinate before its time to put down Pre-Em.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same here... we got virtually no new grass last Fall once the irrigation went off and there was so much damage to take care of because of irrigation issues,,, so most of my eggs went into the dormant seeding basket with the first major snowstorm...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did some tests with Dimension crabgrass control granules. I treated new grass seedling in flower pots at only only 7 days old, when they were 2 inches tall. I used perennial rye at near ideal seeding conditions--moist soil and temps in the eighties. There was no death of the seedlings, but there was some slight stunting.
Seedlings treated with Dimension at 23 days old and about 3 inches tall were not injured. Sept 2011.

I think it may be possible to treat new grass with Dimension if you can get it up to 3 inches tall before treatment. I hope to try this this year. Clearly there is a narrow window of time when the new grass is 3 inches and yet crabgrass has not yet germinated. I think the label says the new grass must be well-established. You must accept some risk.

If anybody tries this let us know what happens.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I did some tests with Dimension crabgrass control granules. I treated new grass seedling in flower pots at only only 7 days old, when they were 2 inches tall. I used perennial rye at near ideal seeding conditions--moist soil and temps in the eighties. There was no death of the seedlings, but there was some slight stunting.
Seedlings treated with Dimension at 23 days old and about 3 inches tall were not injured. Sept 2011.

I think it may be possible to treat new grass with Dimension if you can get it up to 3 inches tall before treatment. I hope to try this this year. Clearly there is a narrow window of time when the new grass is 3 inches and yet crabgrass has not yet germinated. I think the label says the new grass must be well-established. You must accept some risk.

If anybody tries this let us know what happens.
I am worried about the dimension hurting the seeds before they have a chance to germinate.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotis View Post
I am worried about the dimension hurting the seeds before they have a chance to germinate.
The idea here is that if the cool season grasses have a hard time germinating, then it is very likely that the CG is having an impossible time germinating...
By the time the CG gets the correct temps etc.,,, the perennials should be well underway...
If the sunny lawns are not growing Spring lawnseed and you're getting nervous, they may be the ones you pre-m, just to be safe...
BUT,,, give the shadier lawns more time and at least give it a chance...

What I do with spots that may come in with CG,,, I fill-in with AR after Memorial Weekend,,, I can safely give our soils up here at least that long to NOT produce CG...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dimension will definately prevent germination of grass seed if Dimension is used before sowing the seed. Been there...done that.
But if you can get your new grass up to about 3 inches tall before applying the Dimension crabgrass control...and crabgrass has not yet sprouted...Risky, but it should work out OK.
I hope to try this on a bad lawn test site this year. Better test than using flower pots.