Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Herbicides in near dormant St Aug

I posted this in the regular herbicide forum but got no response, thought I would give it a try here. To be specific I am trying to knock some wild violet in St Aug. Normally I would use Metsulfuron if the grass were actively growing but I am worried about damage since the SA is not growing. I'm in south Arkansas and our temps are lows in the 30's to highs mid 60's. The SA is still green but growth has slowed from none to little. I figure the SA in Florida doesn't go totally dormant but growth slows considerably from what I have read. What if anything do you apply under these conditions?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

In my way of thinking, applying Manor to turf not actively growing (and potentially affected by cold temperatures) would be asking for trouble. It is likely inconsistent with label language. That would make usage problematic.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I posted this in the regular herbicide forum but got no response, thought I would give it a try here. To be specific I am trying to knock some wild violet in St Aug. Normally I would use Metsulfuron if the grass were actively growing but I am worried about damage since the SA is not growing. I'm in south Arkansas and our temps are lows in the 30's to highs mid 60's. The SA is still green but growth has slowed from none to little. I figure the SA in Florida doesn't go totally dormant but growth slows considerably from what I have read. What if anything do you apply under these conditions?
ArTurf: Wild Violets grow from a nitrogen nodule below soil surface. Most of your supplies will not effect them now since most of the violet is also dormant. Try a little "Old Atrazine" but it probably will not effect them or just wait till spring.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
In my way of thinking, applying Manor to turf not actively growing (and potentially affected by cold temperatures) would be asking for trouble. It is likely inconsistent with label language. That would make usage problematic.
I do not know much about the lawn chemical side but i know my sub has not been using manor for the past several weeks do to something with the weather and as RA mentioned they have moved over to atrazine because of the cooler temps.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Most PCO's that I know abandoned Atrazine due to it's restricted use status. Most have gone to Simazine (non RUP).
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Most PCO's that I know abandoned Atrazine due to it's restricted use status. Most have gone to Simazine (non RUP).
There are two up here that I know still use it, one actually still tank mixes when the conditions allow. That being said I know that company has stressed several lawns doing it. I no longer use them as a sub.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
There are two up here that I know still use it, one actually still tank mixes when the conditions allow. That being said I know that company has stressed several lawns doing it according to some of their techs..