Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Idea for Measuring Properties (Hunters and Golfers)

As a hunter, I own a laser range finder and thought it would come in handy for measuring properties. I personally have a Nikon and it will measure anything from 12 yards to 500 yards, so you can line it up on an object (or helper) at points you want to measure and just push the button. They also make rangefinders for golfing, same principle. For what they cost, I don't know if I would just go out and buy one just for measuring properties, but for those who already have them, might be worth a try.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem isn't figuring out how to tell size, the problem is a business owner has to know without devices and contraptions, free of technology and mumbo-jumbo, what it is they speak of... The more the business owner surrounds him or herself with aids and devices, the more it looks like someone has training wheels on their bicycle... We can talk about it all day, but the instant a customer realizes you don't know what you are talking about, you're just the next piece of game on an open range...
They will shoot you down and no contraption is going to help, you either know, or you don't.

So...
Better off, if you don't know, admit it.
That is how I find the fastest way to learn how to tell how big a property is, is to ask the homeowner, it works real good especially after one or more lies to you, I promise you will be studying that property so hard and soon there isn't a piece of land you can't tell the size just by gazing at it.

Because you go on out there with these measuring devices, you might look real experienced, and you might look the fool all the same. Thing is they will take advantage of you if you are new, no way around that, might as well get it over with.

Then tell the homeowner how big the land is you're looking at and be so sure of yourself they don't argue, that says something about who has been where, they won't mess you around much after that.

Last edited by herler; 12-06-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. Use online measuring

2. if you are "guestimating" and applying fert or pesticides, depending on your state you are breaking the law.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Google calculator is pretty cool, thanks for sharing. I suppose my use for the range finder would be for more precise calculation of square footage for application of chemicals. The Google tool will be great for doing a rough estimate based on overall property size. It showed me that a couple of properties I recently did quotes on were actually slightly smaller than I thought, so it's good I came out a little on the conservative side.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those rangefinder's have a 3-5% margin of error. That is not precise enough, IMO, for pesticide application.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never used one of the hunting/golfing rangefinders, but I use a laser measuring tool by Bosch that you can buy at Lowes. It's accurate to within 1/8" at 100 ft and cost me $150. I use the heck out of it, and it's a good quick reference tool.