Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Repeat Customers - double edged sword

We (as in us contractors) strive to achieve a satisified client. We strive to build a relationship of trust and respect. We strive to display competency, wisdom, and knowledge. We even develop friendships with our customers.

And all the aforementioned goes out the door when it comes to pricing phases II and III.

"You just paid us $44k for 'Phase I' that you're 100% happy with and now you're hastily second guessing my specs and procedures for phase II?" "You can't understand why we need a pricey drain system that is intended to protect$44k you just spent, do you not have comprehensive and collision insurance on your new car?"

Go ahead, get your "other prices". I hope their joint lines are as squiggly as my hand writing.

Sticker shock brings out the devil in people. Especially when they have champaign taste with a wine budget.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 12-04-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I do all my work by myself. I am a one man show. I am retired and do Hardscaping and Landscaping for my habits like old cars and hot rods.
I had one homeowner get a quote for a job that was $3000 more than me. The job was $11,000 total from me. He said he was not going to use me because he refuses to pay one guy so he can make all that profit???????? How do you like that logic.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lol....got a few of those this year. Phase 2 comes and they want a deal because they didn't bargain with us for phase 1.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dealt with the same thing. 11k stoop and walk. They want a patio and thats 8k. No go. Then i get a call for every random thing "what would ----- cost??" With no actual work being ordered up. They all want the next one free since they paid you for the first one
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a "repeat" customer who hasn't actually had us do work yet. I met with them several times last year to create their perfect backyard for their new home. Then she lost her job. This year comes and she has temporary employment. Now we're talking about phases for the project. That's fine. Temp employment stopped and so did our discussions. She is a nurse, her husband is a doctor in the navy. I fully expect them to start this project at sometime. Its just frustrating putting in so much time without results. When she calls again, I'm on the fence about continuing. Or saying no thanks. I've already invested this much and it is a $100k project. People can be annoying
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The worst ones are the people who say they are looking to do a big project in the back yard next year so give them a good deal on the driveway and they will use us for the rear yard.

Although this is true sometimes, seem more often now people are just using it to try and drive the price down.