Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Poor Customer Service from trailer dealer in Central Florida

On Monday I purchased a 6 x 12 landscape dump trailer from R and R Unlimited in Hudson, Fl. The dealer sells Tripple Crown brand trailers, and is located about 50 miles from my business location. Upon arriving home with my new trailer, a buddy at my storage location noticed the rear door would not open. I called R and R about the problem and the woman who answered (also the one who sold me the trailer) told me to bring it back and they would look at it. I advised her it was a 102 mile round trip, that took 3 1/2 hours, and I felt she needed to do something for my inconvenience since the trailer should have been checked before being sold. She offered me a cheap sand foot for my trailer which I said was a joke. She then said she would give me a tarp system for cost, which she said was $450 (she quoted me $490 earlier). I'm not an idiot! That is not cost!

I called Triple Crown directly, explained the situation to them, and they immediately set up the repair with a dealer (not even one of theirs) nearby. I had to leave the trailer because the hinges were installed crooked, and needed to be cut off and re-welded. I picked the trailer up the next day, and the repair was done perfectly. Hats off to Triple Crown! Mistakes happen, it's the way they are handled that makes the difference.

Yesterday when I was telling the story of the problem I had with R and R Unlimited to several guys in my field, one of the guys noticed the spare tire R and R sold me and mounted to the trailer was a 5 lug, and my trailer was a 6 lug. Yep another mistake! I called them again, spoke to the same woman, and was told they don't offer roadside assistance and I would need to bring the tire back. I told her it was 102 mile trip to correct their incompetence, but she didn't't care. I asked to speak to her boss, but she would not give me his number. When I told her I expected the boss to call me and I wanted her name, she proceeded to hang up on me! I guess it's OK for me to spend 3 1/2 hours of my time, and use 1/2 tank of diesel to correct their mistake, but it's out of the question for them to do it. I called Triple Crown again and let them know about this most recent problem and they again told me to take the tire to the dealer who repaired my trailer and they would correct the problem. I'm just going to buy a new tire Monday myself, as I don't feel it is the manufacturers responsibility. I'm telling my story so others can buy from a dealer who cares about their customers once the pull off the lot. I would avoid R and R unlimited at all costs! Triple Crown is a quality company however, and truly do care about their customers and reputation!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if its 102 miles and a 3 1/2 hour trip that must be a heck of a lot of stoplights.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That place is a shizzhole. Its always looked like a dump. Two miles farther south is Rentz. They have always been great to me. I bought my last three trailers from them and get all my parts there. They also stock all the steel I use on projects.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, no...

They were willing to make it right.
But you have to bring it to them.
That's just par for the course.

It is not the dealer's problem that you live 102 miles away.

No sir, your expectations of their service department are way out of line here.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well, no...

They were willing to make it right.
But you have to bring it to them.
That's just par for the course.

It is not the dealer's problem that you live 102 miles away.

No sir, your expectations of their service department are way out of line here.
I disagree!
How about them apologizing for the inconvenience?
How about offering to UPS the right tire?
I did nothing wrong here! You're crazy!
Had I brought the trailer back to them the first time, I would have made that trip for a second time. Then I could choose to stay the night in a hotel, or drive back home until the following day to drive up for a third time to pick up the repaired trailer. Then I could make that drive for a fourth time to get the proper tire. You my friend are the one who is out of line here!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
if its 102 miles and a 3 1/2 hour trip that must be a heck of a lot of stoplights.
Straight up US 19 with traffic lights every couple blocks or so most of the way. Very congested area as well!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Make the trip up with the trailer and demand your money back. That will piss them off even more.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4chris70 View Post
Straight up US 19 with traffic lights every couple blocks or so most of the way. Very congested area as well!
With a ton of construction as well. Calling it a highway is a joke.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Could you not have identified all of these issues when you purchased it? I agree the dealer should fix the issues, but you would have to bare some responsibility to deliver the trailer so they can. New or not you don't buy anything without checking it out first. Would you buy a new truck without a test drive?
Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcrox2 View Post
Could you not have identified all of these issues when you purchased it? I agree the dealer should fix the issues, but you would have to bare some responsibility to deliver the trailer so they can. New or not you don't buy anything without checking it out first. Would you buy a new truck without a test drive?
When you buy a new vehicle, you don't think to check to see if all the doors open and close properly, you assume they do. Come on man! I checked to be sure the lights worked, I had the dump remote, the frame was solid...things like that. At some point you need to trust the dealer!

When you buy a computer, do you set it up in the store to be sure it works???