Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting a lawn/landscaping company in NY

Hello everyone!

I have been doing landscaping (lawns, rip out, minor tree work and replacement) for several years on the side for friends and family. I absolutely love it and at 30 its time to take the big step and make it a full time business!

My question is what is required soup to nuts for me to start a small landscaping (not architecture) business in NY? I would like to be up and running by spring but before I spend any more time and money on the project I need to know if its even possible!

What requirements are there if i am doing lawn maintenance minor removals and replacements and I will have a couple employees?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where are you at bro? I just set up. New corp. call your accountant. Mine did it for 500. Then get insurance. Mine was about 1600 for the year. Then get your licenses for counties and towns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where in NY?

NYC has it's own regulations.

Long Island Nassau and Suffolk county's each require a Home Improvement Contractors license. Suffolk you will have to take a written test. Not that bad just study the papers they give you. Then you have to register your business with the county as a solo prop or LLC. Get a EIN, then file for your sales tax number, then go to the WC office and if just you and no employees you can file for WC wavier or pay to WC insurance. Also will have to have $500,000 min liabilty insurance. For $20 more premium I got $1,000,000 coverage.

You will need a checking account in your business' name.
You do work for a business they have to make the check out to your business name to right it off. If they make the check out to your name after $600 total has been reached in one year they will have to 1099 you and or need your SS#. I'm not giving any one my SS#.

I don't know what they do up in the sticks.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the advice! I am in Nassau.

How do I get a general contractors license in Nassau? Approximately how long will it take? I really need to be up and running by spring!

I am not planning on doing landscape architecture or marketing myself as one but I would like to do removals and replacements of shrubs and small trees damaged by Sandy is that ok in this capacity?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Probably the same as Suffolk.

Nassau County Dept of Consumer Affairs.