Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is "standard" service really seems to vary by area. Maybe look at websites of some of the other landscapers in your area? You should get a better idea that way.

For what it's worth, we mow, edge, blow, treat weeds, fertilize grass as part of a year round program. Everything else- pruning, tilling, annuals, irrigation monitoring, water feature maintenance, etc is extra.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmrunyan1 View Post
Hey everyone. Thanks for the input and for taking your time to help the new guy. I posted about equipment and such before. Now my question is this: How much to charge for the extras and what extras should I provide. I will already be offering the standards of mowing, edging, trimming, hedge work and garden bed tilling as well as leaf removal. So, what to include in the base price and what is extra and how much to charge? I want to maintain a competitive price without low balling the competition and I don't want to diminish the standard pricing in my area.
Some things are flat out wags. You have to learn production rates for various jobs. Charles Vander Kooi has some good books on this subject and even a small book with many production rates listed. Other people here will recommend other books. They are a good starting spot but you will find that your own experiance will trumpt these.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I don't understand your question. I have the same mind set for a 1/3 ac lot with a 50 yr old home on it as I do a $850,000 home with $100,000 in landscape. I even have a retirement home village that I do for $20 a visit. 12 homes @ 2 1/2 hrs. So, I don't know.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks everyone

Thanks for all the advice and tips. You have been very helpful! Keep it coming folks.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You think you have low ball pressure.

look at this guy.

He sends out post cards into my market several times a year too.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmrunyan1 View Post
After much research with the lawn care companies, over 100 people in my area, and various others, there is a clear opening for a business to serve residential customers with small to average size lawns. People are having difficulty getting a company to service their small to average lawns. My lawn is average size for the area, so I checked this out for myself, and indeed, there is a problem finding company that provides professional quality service on an ongoing basis to the average homeowner in my area.
My question is this:
Would this niche be enough to build a business on in this industry? Is this a specialty in that could be utilized? Has anybody done this and been successful?
What all services should be offered at this level, more than just mow and go?

I have seen various opinions that small jobs are the bread and butter of the industry, as well as opinions that the majority of clients should be businesses.
So, any and opinions and advice are welcome.
I would say this must be related to your location.

I would say most of my lawns are small to average size lawns. I pretty much do residential lawns. offering anything from full service to just mow, trim, blow and go.

most of the lawns in my neck of the woods are small to average size in the first place. usually the large stuff is commercial properties. so you can't really make a niche out of doing small to average size properties as most LCO's have these sizes.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, it does seem to be a simple lack of smaller operations in this area. We are a community of several small towns. Some seem to have large and small companies, others seem to be more oriented toward commercial properties. So, as the small guy (which I have been before) I have no problem with either view. Personally, I plan to remain primarily geared toward smaller jobs with full services at reasonable and competitive prices. No undercutting. Just fair pay for exceptional work. Guess that's just the small town boy in me.