The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Then you should look at this page too

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p946...link1000107677
From what I read in your link, it sounds like I could pull up the route one of my employees ran on a particular date in one of the trucks and this would be the supporting evidence I would need to back up a fuel expenditure on or approximately on that date....as long as the figures support each other....No detailed log book necessary....Interesting.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The two sections contradict one another. I wonder which one the auditor would use?
Depends on the conditions surrounding the business.

My trucks are dedicated business use. I made an earlier post in this tread but it was overlooked as well.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
From what I read in your link, it sounds like I could pull up the route one of my employees ran on a particular date in one of the trucks and this would be the supporting evidence I would need to back up a fuel expenditure on or approximately on that date....as long as the figures support each other....No detailed log book necessary....Interesting.

I have invoices, bank statements and credit card files.

I suppose the IRS just has to figure out which clients were walk in
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'm afraid you don't know how an audit works. An IRS auditor doesn't have to disprove anything. At the start of the audit it is presumed that every deduction that you took is falsified and you have to prove each and every one if the auditor desires. If you can't prove something then they use industry standards as their benchmark. That usually doesn't work out real well for the person being audited.
I'm am also afraid I don't know how an audit works. I don't write off any of my mileage. and as far as gas and diesel anyone with half of a brain will very quickly realize, a truck requires oil changes, and gas or diesel, tires need replacing, and so on, to get a lawn mower, mulch or anything that may be involved in landscaping to and from a job site. Am I wrong? trucks don't need fuel to get a to job site especially when towing an 5-6000lbs or maybe even 10-12,000lbs lawn mowers and string trimmers don't require gas....i don't think anyone will question that unless you are using an obscene amount of gas and diesel per year and claim to be a solo operator yet you are making 500,000 dollars a year, that might look fishy and get someone audited. I hope I never get audited but if I do, I have records of all the estimates I've done since I started, also every lawn customer and plowing customers with dates when I was at each location, next year I may start adding a time when I was there as well. I do a time for the plowing customers since snow can melt by the time some wake up or get home from work. I'm working on a personal vehicle but being that it's winter time, and my work has come to a stop, it wouldn't be the smartest idea to buy a vehicle, insure it and register it now. I don't really go anywhere from December to march except business related stuff. Not a whole lot to do up here in the winter.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

bottom line out of all this, is I'm gonna stick with doing it my way despite what dick oops I mean richard says or thinks.

it's worked for me so far. I have no reason to think otherwise.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLot View Post
What's everyone's advice on using the same vehicle for work an their primary personal vehicle ? Reason I ask is I was thinking of trading in my car to get a nice 1 ton vehicle for 20k used or just getting a used truck for 10k strictly for landscaping an plowing .. What ya guys think ?
I would 100% buy the used truck for 10k and keep your car. Just make sure when you buy the truck that it is clean and well cared for, there should be very little if any dings, no rust, no rot, shouldn't need any paint work for 10,000 should look like new still or very lightly used. Just make sure to ask alot of questions, but keeping 10,000 in the bank for unexpected things that come up is much smarter then having a new nicer work and personal vehicle. and trading in your current car is not a smart idea any way you look at it. plus like stated it is nice to be able to leave your trailer connected and loaded if you can back inside a garage or shop, and jump in a personal vehicle and go home. the better you can separate work from personal the longer you will make it. I still mix things together a little bit, but i'm working on separating them completely next year. the worst i do now is use my business check card to go out to eat and that as far as i know is not a business expense. otherwise everything else is a business expense and a write off.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
Quote:
What's everyone's advice on using the same vehicle for work an their primary personal vehicle ? Reason I ask is I was thinking of trading in my car to get a nice 1 ton vehicle for 20k used or just getting a used truck for 10k strictly for landscaping an plowing .. What ya guys think ?
I would 100% buy the used truck for 10k and keep your car. Just make sure when you buy the truck that it is clean and well cared for, there should be very little if any dings, no rust, no rot, shouldn't need any paint work for 10,000 should look like new still or very lightly used. Just make sure to ask alot of questions, but keeping 10,000 in the bank for unexpected things that come up is much smarter then having a new nicer work and personal vehicle. and trading in your current car is not a smart idea any way you look at it. plus like stated it is nice to be able to leave your trailer connected and loaded if you can back inside a garage or shop, and jump in a personal vehicle and go home. the better you can separate work from personal the longer you will make it. I still mix things together a little bit, but i'm working on separating them completely next year. the worst i do now is use my business check card to go out to eat and that as far as i know is not a business expense. otherwise everything else is a business expense and a write off.
Thanks for the advice that's most likely what I'm gonna do. I'm sure for 10k I can get a decent looking truck.. I just love trucks in general that's why I was willing to trade in my car an buy a nicer truck to use for both personal an business but its not a good idea
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice that's most likely what I'm gonna do. I'm sure for 10k I can get a decent looking truck.. I just love trucks in general that's why I was willing to trade in my car an buy a nicer truck to use for both personal an business but its not a good idea
my truck was only 3500 and i think its pretty decent looking?
not perfect, but still in pretty good condition. its your money spend it how you want but i think 10k is too much even I would spend 5-6 and leave 4k in your budget to fix any minor issues you may have or modify how the truck looks( wheels and tires) maybe tint the windows if you want. though i went that route before and heavily modified a truck for performance and i was using for work and would not recommend it until you have a solid reliable work truck then if you want another truck to lift or build lots of hp then do it.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Diesel too looks real nice yea I'm prob gonna get something just like that