Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Congrats to those that can

Well, for that last few years I have been wanting to transition more from mowing into fert and squirt and irrigation. Sad to say but it looks like it is going to get pushed back some more. After last years killer drought [Texas 2011] the only thing keeping me a float was the commercial mowing [and I was bailing water and using a snorkel at times]. This year I had a few more commercial mowing opportunities come my way and for the money I had to jump. This put me about 65 hours a week mowing so instead of growing the app side I had to decrease. Now we are back in a D3 drought in my area and do not know when it is going to get better and back to normal, if it does. I have been having another commercial account calling, one I used to do, and wanting a bid but I kept telling them I was full. Well the weather and a few other things have forced my hand, I gave them a bid and they accepted and even want to start contract Jan 1, 2013. Looks like I am going to be sending out letters dropping residential mowing and only keeping enough app customers to pay for the insurance and license. I am not a fan of Lemonade but what else do you do with them.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hire the neighbor kid to tend the lemonade stand...and go squirt your fert.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Amen.

All we do is applications, no mowing and were doing great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Wish I could. Tried that route for years, some decent and most worthless as tits on a boar hog. When you are getting calls telling you if the same crew is coming back next week then don't even bother showing up, it is like beating your head on the wall.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
Amen.

All we do is applications, no mowing and were doing great.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hope you have continued good fortunes. Last year [2011] I got to do 3 apps because of the weather and lost over 20K on the mowing side. Now we are right back dry as a bone. I have Rye seed that I put down in late Sept sitting in dust. The good thing is that the seed never has had enough moisture to ruin.
Trust me, I would love to only do apps and irrigation, but if there is nothing to fertilize, spray or home owners grass to mow then you do what puts food on the table.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Turfdawg,
I am not in Texas, but in the delta area of Arkansas, we have had two short days of rain here. Barely 3/4 of an inch..........not enough to make the preemerge work. Already almost done with commercial and residential leaf cleanups. Trimming Crepe Myrtles, etc.......normally done later in the year. Decorative grasses are getting cut down also, so I hope for our sake that all things go well.
I have taken an interest into water harvesting..........commercially and residentially for those that water periodically. If the drought doesn't stop............I may be out of business next season. It is pretty grim................!!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Turfdawg,
I am not in Texas, but in the delta area of Arkansas, we have had two short days of rain here. Barely 3/4 of an inch..........not enough to make the preemerge work. Already almost done with commercial and residential leaf cleanups. Trimming Crepe Myrtles, etc.......normally done later in the year. Decorative grasses are getting cut down also, so I hope for our sake that all things go well.
I have taken an interest into water harvesting..........commercially and residentially for those that water periodically. If the drought doesn't stop............I may be out of business next season. It is pretty grim................!!!!
I truly hope things will get better for you. I know another guy north of Little Rock that got hit hard this year also [seeing your post reminded me that I need to contact and check on him].
Some of my buddies around me closed up shop last year and a couple more sold out this year. A few of them think I am nuts for sticking with it, but this is what I like and will keep trying and adjusting until I cannot. I guess I am lucky that I have the commercial maintenance opportunities that I have.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TD, I would say take the money i know you want to fert and squirt but if thats not there right now then do what makes the money and work your way toward that when it comes back.. I know its hard finding a guy to do the mowing for you so your kinda of stuck.. unless you can find the right guy.. wish you luck on that...
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I truly hope things will get better for you. I know another guy north of Little Rock that got hit hard this year also [seeing your post reminded me that I need to contact and check on him].
Some of my buddies around me closed up shop last year and a couple more sold out this year. A few of them think I am nuts for sticking with it, but this is what I like and will keep

trying and adjusting until I cannot. I guess I am lucky that I have the commercial maintenance opportunities that I have.
This is very sad...as it could happen to any of us at any time. The weather and somewhat the economy can both hurt us.
I would do whatever it takes to survive.
Put back and live lean because it is survival of the fittest.
He who lasts the longest wins.

Once things bounce back you will be back on top.
Those that were forced to get out either were not setting themselves up, were weak or just not tough enough to survive.

That doesn't make them bad...you just have to try and "out live" your competition.

Stick in there and do all you can do and may b one day you can look back and smile!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm with you.

I do mowing an apps but fortunatly i am doing pretty well. My apps are on a pretty steep growth curve and I have it continues. There is a lot of competition in mowing. Not so much on apps in my area.

I am adding mosquito apps in 2013. Will also push fire ant apps and disease and grub control.

I know there are a few I you who started like us with mowing and apps and were able to drop mowing. Any tips you can pass on would be great.

Trying to do a great job to build a solid reputation and go from there.
Posted via Mobile Device