Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtford View Post
I had this issue until I replaced a chewed up beat up impeller.The new ones they put in would suck a cow up. Depending on what type of machine, 16hp should easily shred small sticks unless the impeller is messed. just a thought.
I think his problem is that the sticks are getting stuck in the hose before they get to the impeller, not that the impeller can't digest them. Yeah a new impeller will pull a bit harder because the tollerances are tighter, but I don't that it will solve his problem unless it's really worn.

I think the answer is to try to leave the larger sticks behind and go back with a barrel and pick them up if you're doing the cleanup yourself. For customer piles, it's always a good idea to feed with a rake or shovel...you never know what's in there. Sometimes you can clear a stuck stick by sending a pile of crap at it, but of course it sometimes just clogs it more. Never had a clog I couldn't clear by giving the hose a straighten, jiggle and slam though.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea the stick are getting stuck mid way in the hose. I have been doing great little to no clogs until the other day then I got stuck on two yards and that killed me we will see how today goes.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

It was old and really beat up. Im not chipping wood,but after our little hurricane, my yards were a mess. you do what you gotta do.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 18 hp Billy Goat and I've had to take off the tube for a clog ONCE this whole year. We've even sucked up non-leaf debris - potted plants, knockout rose cuttings, perennial debris...

We rake-feed the tube. It's new clear tube with little ridges like someone said. Sticks are a pain, but most of the time not an issue. When one gets stuck across the intake, I turn the rake sideways and crack the stick real fast, up it goes.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm right there with you, small sticks should not be an issue. If you're using an 8 hp then there will be problems, but 16-18 Honda*(in my case) not an issue. I also rake feed it 75% of the time. Over time no matter what you do, things wear out and break down, unfortunately we have to pay for it.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well I think I figured out what the problem was. The back plate on the eng was lose and I was losing compression. I didn't find this out till I had replaced it with a new one. Now I have a 16 hp vanguard that needs a ne gasket and some thread loc. I am on the hunt for another loader with a craped out eng. any one have one.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry man, that blows.. Good luck
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well it wasnt the end of the world was 600 and a few hrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

We set up a barrel for the guy doing the leaves so he can throw all the sticks in that helps some cant get them all but lessens amount of time unclogging the hose we always try and make sure there is plenty air flow around the hose hold the hose higher off the ground to get max air flow that works for us