Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Echo Trimmer Has Worn Crankshaft Seals

This is a Echo SRM261 that came into the shop because it was leaking oil Hard to believe it was still running well. This is an example of a machine that is over 7 years old and ran with high use this entire season. The new orange units sit in the shed because they are tooooo heavy.

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  74.8 KB

Now this picture shows one way to get that flywheel off. Some times a unit can be leaking and you can't tell without taking the flywheel off.

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  57.7 KB

This pictures shows the bolts that you use with the puller.

Name:  006.jpg
Size:  86.0 KB

This picture shows the engine in parts. I did find that the upper roller bearing was worn a lot so I will replace it. So I will need two seals, the roller bearing, and two rings, and two gaskets to put the unit back together. Less than $20 and I will probably get another two years.

Name:  009.jpg
Size:  58.9 KB

This picture shows the four bolts that you take out so that you can
take the engine apart. Pretty straight forward.

Name:  007.jpg
Size:  83.0 KB
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

interesting, never had this issue. they are usually just straight done after we are "done" with them. they have worn out carbs, and or pistons and rings. at that point, we usually jsut replace them. this only comes down to about every 5 years or so. new is good, eps after the hard use we give them year after year.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
interesting, never had this issue. they are usually just straight done after we are "done" with them. they have worn out carbs, and or pistons and rings. at that point, we usually jsut replace them. this only comes down to about every 5 years or so. new is good, eps after the hard use we give them year after year.
I have found that there is only a very few parts that wear on Echo. Mainly the upper roller bearing, the rings and sometimes the flywheel side crank bearing. If you monitor and replace those as needed they go a lot longer than 5 years. Never had carb that couldn't be fixed with just a few parts.
Of course you got to monitor for those seals going out or you can cause real damage sometimes by running them.

Important to have a good inspection program at least twice a year. You can damage a new unit by leaving the exhaust ports get clogged. Or wearing the clutch shoes down and racing the motor. I learned all this after 30 years.