Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ztr tire spinning issue on a sloped account

I have a gravely zt 52hd. This account's backyard is all sloped, down to a lake. It seems to want to slide down if i try to go sideways across the slope, and when i turn around, it spins the tires, despite using the slope to make an easy 2 point turn.

When i tried to go straight up and down the slope, it spun the tires going all the way up. not much, but enough to matter. I was being as easy as i could be, too!

Before you say, "dont jam your sticks" or "it takes practice" or "lower/raise your tire pressure" I know all of these things. I am easy on my sticks, i have had plenty of practice. Been mowing with a ztr since I was 13.

I have mowed sloped accounts before with no problems, but this one just seems different somehow. Its quite difficult really. I mean its not that its a super steep slope. the terrain is quite humpy.

Could it be just me? Could it just be my mower? Could it be the terrain? or any combination of the three. Hit me with your wisdom.

Thanks,
Zack
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried starting at the bottom and working your way up across? Is the ground really wet? Does it have alot of clover or weeds? Is the soil mainly clay?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe74 View Post
Have you tried starting at the bottom and working your way up across? Is the ground really wet? Does it have alot of clover or weeds? Is the soil mainly clay?
No I havent tried mowing it diagonally.

It is a little damp in some spots near the bottom because of the lake, but we have had nearly two months with no rain, so its pretty much dry.

No it doesnt have any weeds, the lawn itself is flawless in that way, its all centipede with a little bahia mix (the typical lawn in south ga).

and no the soil isnt clay at all, its nice healthy black soil.
-Stihl everything
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When the time comes, maybe going with wider rear tires would help with traction. Does this account have irrigation? If so, try hitting it later in the day if the sprinklers have been running in the mourning.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always mow this account after lunch. usually around 2-3pm.

and they only have automatic sprinklers in their landscape beds, and those are in the front yard, which is flat.

and thats a great idea about the wider tires i didnt think about that.
-Stihl everything
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

i have some rather hilly property that i mow. i am not sure what brand you mow with, but i am using Deeere z900's. i have been mowing for 30years as well. i solved 99% of my trouble by building a weight bracket right behind the seat. i took off the top(pivoting)part of the rops, and built/installed a weight bracket connecting the two sides. i added 6 deere suitcase weights. this made a heavy mower even heavier, but i handles/turns on hills perfectly now. my local dealer liked it so well that i have made/sold several to their other customers, and the regional sales rep has taken several pics. of the idea back to deere. i don't think they will be too fond of removing the rops to use it, but it would work easily with rops on,you would just replace the splined pins with bolts.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wasnt talking about diagonally. What i ment was start at the lake working across go towards the house/ up the slope. I agree with adding some weight would help. Also what make and model tire are you using?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My guess would be the ground is saturated with water. This happened on a property where the beavers had flooded an area close to a steep slope I mow. It was fine until the dam arrived, the extra water meant the rain water no longer ran down the hill but stayed in the soil making it so I couldn't mow it no matter what I tried. Have you considered using a WB instead of your Z?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you don't want to try diagonally, that's usually the worst to try to come down. The tires on those units are on the skinny side. My Lazer Z HP sucks on slopes unless I keep the hopper for the rear bagger on it.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Daryl my old lazer Z HP could really hold a hill up and down--sideways not so much, but up and down