Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for the copy post I'm using my phone and it was still in the box and ur post wasn't showing so I thought I didn't send it anyway what does the verticutter do? I know about the aerator because my husband had a job with a company and that is all they did... and I will only have about 3-4 g come taxes I had hoped to have more but sadly other things are needed. I searched on craigslist for weeks before I ended up purchasing a 5.5 x 10 trailer new all the listings they had on there were severly used and most way smaller than what I needed for like 8 or 9 and I bought this one new for 11 so far in my area I havnt seen any mowers for sale in my area I did find some on ebay but they are a bit of a drive to get to with the cost of gas to get there and back I don't see how it is worth it. I do have a store that I found that does sell used items at the time I was looking at zero turns but even those were to me way over priced for a brand I had never heard of they wanted like 6g and that day I saw one at lowes troy built for 3g
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Just out of curiosity how do u recomend pricing for the seeding and aerating? The same as a mow and rental cost divided by how many jobs u have or do u raise the cost some? When he did the aerator they moved pretty quickly and seemed to work the same as a mower with obvious differences but it didn't seem like they would take any more or less time than a mow would it? So far last year I have low balled several clients on jobs I made money but was left feeling so PO! One job I bid 50 for weeding and mulch thinking it would take an hour to do and only 8 bags of mulch I was way wrong it was 10 bags and 3 hours!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright, just search on here for dethatcher or verticutter and you can read all you ever wanted to know. But about mowers and things you need, stay away from lowes. They are a good place to buy handheld gear, but not mowers/trailers things like that. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/3464092302.html There is a good mower, a bit pricey, but thats what you want.
I am partial to Stihl for trimmers, and blowers, but echo commercial products are great as is husqvarna, and red max
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
Exmark 36" metro, 14hp belt drive, walk behind
Scag 36" 16hp advantage deck, belt drive, walk behind
Lawnboy 21" 9hp commercial walk behinds x3
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear
All Husquvarna saws: Everything from 14" Climbing to 48" 3/4 Wrap.
Thanks to Petzl, Buckingham, and Yale I am still alive!

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

This would also be a good mower http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/3449893926.html
to big to be your only one, but your second season you might want to look into something like this.
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

That is purely what you feel your time is worth and what is the going rate in your area. Make sure to cover your costs, and put some back into your company and for yourself, thats the only advice i have for that
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Do what i did. Just sit on here and read every thread there is about bidding jobs, and how to do it right the first time. its takes time and experience, and it shows on someone who knows what they are doing and knows how to do it
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Red max is the one i was looking at the other day when the first thing was suggested to me about getting a walk behind. Honestly my web browser on my phone and on my computer hasn't left this site in days ever since i found it that is all i have been doing... my husband laughs sort of every time he sees me on here "are you still reading!?" 3 am he wakes up Im still sitting here this is a wonderful site i have learned so much in such a little time and you two have been so helpful honestly! and the trailer i didn't get from lowes i actually bought that at trailers plus i am really satisfied with that... from all the "guys" that see it, they all say that having the round bar on top is definitely a good thing the ones they had at lowes did not and the guy gave me the same price for it as they had at lowes for a 5x10 so i don't think i could have done better except as i was on my way home with it someone was selling an enclosed trailer which looked almost new for 9 i cried about that one for a little bit because i honestly wanted an enclosed one but couldn't afford it. at the time the only deal that i saw on craigslist for those was one which was quite large but it had been hit in the back corner and had severe rust and door issues. I didn't want to deal with that from the start plus it had some other logo on it too. And both of those mowers are in my price range, actually the one says they would be willing to trade for a rider which i actually have a john deer that i won't be using once i get the walk behind! So kind of perfect if he knocks of enough i may be able to get both! how cool! so definitely thanks for sending me these i hadn't seen either one! and a special thanks because i noticed you are not in my area and took the time to pull up my area just to look for me so kudos to you!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

i guess i was searching too soon because there are a lot of them on here now! thanks again
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha All my friends call me a Craigslist junkie, and that i am, so those were already in my sights! So what kind of truck/car do you have?
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I didn't know that they had hour counts on these? is 1300 hours too many for a john deer 54 for 1450?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/3441926809.html