Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

ya between my husband and his father i don't pay a mechanic and if there is anything they can't figure out we have his neighbor and my ex's step-father who helps out too (we had kids) honestly i don't want anything that i have to sink money into though
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

go for it i can't do anything until mid January early February... remember i am using my tax check
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Good call, and often times you will find that people are just stupid when it comes to motors and cars and lawn equipment and just connect one wire, or run some carb cleaner though it and it runs fine!
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3447561781.html Might think about looking into that
I would say if you want a Ram, then get a 2000s or newer, long bed, 4x4, 1500 or 2500 if you can find one, regular cab
Odds are you wont be able to find one thats not beat up, but as long as it runs and isnt rusty is really all that matters with a dodge. I have owned a 2001 Ram and 1996 Ford and the difference is huge and you can tell that im a ford guy, so i'll let you decide what exactly you want to put money into
Integrated Erosion Control and Storm Management

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

As long as you want to just do lawn care and light landscaping (mulch, maybe some rock moving nothing to crazy) You would do fine with a F-150...OR a Ram either one...

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

you are really trying to push the ford on me aren't you? lol idk i just prefer the dodge my father had a ford for as long as i can remember but when i was younger i drove for an auto auction i drove lots of all kinds of dodge's i just like them better for so many reasons. then when i got with my husband his father had a dodge and we bought it, had it until my husband slammed it into a telephone pole! but now we have another dodge product and i am on my second chrystler van and i plan to stick with them and i have a title loan now but as much as i don't want a payment i will probably get sucked into getting another to get the truck instead of buying one out right because i do want something newer instead of sinking money into a bottomless pit which all cars can be that no matter the make but newer means longer before it becomes one lol did you see this one? what is your take that the 32 doesn't have a meter?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/3389654559.html
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I personally went and looked at that mower last week! It ran well, but i am not a fan of the T controls. But that is just because i have pistol grips on both my other mowers. It would be a good mower, but do you have any gates that are that small? The other issue with buying a 32' is they are harder to find, so if you get a commercial job, you wont be able to easily find a 32' to double cut with. (Double cut is just going over the same spot twice, but at a different angle, so you end up making the checkerboard effect with your stripes on the lawn)

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

you are going to want to factor in, about $400 for a good straight shaft trimmer, and handheld blower. I would say Stihl fs85 for trimmer, and Stihl br65c for blower. Those are a very good start. Also you want to get a spare tire for your trailer, because forced down time, SUCKS. So there is ATLEAST $500 you dont want to spend, plus a basic tool kit to keep with you to do on the spot repairs if needed. I have a 100 piece craftsman socket and bit set i carry with spare spark plugs and filters for all my equipment, as well as starter fluid. so there is another $150,
plus a 5 gallon gas can for your mower/mowers, then 2 2 gallon gas cans for mixed fuel for your handhelds. so another $25 or $30,
spare trimmer line and spark plugs for everything $30

And I'm 18...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

i currently only have one commercial job and got that one by accident. I planned to only stick with residential but it is the place where i got my title loan they asked me why i wanted the money when i told them to get the trailer and some other equipment he said hey come cut our grass and that honestly is 5 passes with the push mower and I am done with it. but ha ha i don't know why i started looking at 32 for some reason i thought that is what you said to look for... lol but i only have 2 with gates and both would almost have to be done with the push mower the one she has a shed parked in the way and the gate is extremely small anyway i don't think it is a standard size anyway the other the gate is kinda big but the part with the gate buts up to a lake and everything on top of one another both back yards are small anyway and only take about 10 minutes to cut each so using the push mower isn't that big of an issue. but i do want to prepare for the yards that i don't have yet i plan on hitting it hard next season. I only got a few customers this year because i didn't advertise too much because i wasn't sure if i could handle the work or even enjoy it enough and honestly it started out being something to do because i got bored but i ended up loving it! So i plan to keep on doing it and growing until i can't do it anymore then give it to one or all of the boys some day
Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually have a curved shaft that i paid 80? for about mid way through the season i like it, it works but i want to get a straight shaft with an edging kit and the blower i do want to get another because the prolaun i bought this year has fallen to craps! it works but is a pita! never thought of caring tools with but honestly my husband does all that stuff anyway, and when i need him he is usually at home with the baby he works nights so i just call him and he comes and does what ever i need help with. but i am pretty handy at some things so i guess that is a good idea and never thought of carying extra filters or plugs with and i do know i need a bigger gas can i have 2, and 1 gal now and it works fine i only had to fill the 2 gal for the mowers every other day or so but the weed eater can i only had to fill that about once a week some times less. since i am picking your brain what do you think is the best way to remove the over grown weeds and dirt that has been built up for years on the sidewalks? i purchased an edger from his dad last year but only used it a couple of times because i could use the weed eater and just blow off the stuff rather than having to bend down and pick up chunks and having to load them into a trash can and take them with me.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

doing the weed eater was time consuming though between standing there cutting it and blowing it off