Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Tell them to sh!t in their hat. They should have called you months ago.
I like this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
As I've said many times to contractors:"you touched it, you own it". It's the "clients" stupidity to not look at the water bills, but now you're caught between a rock and a hard place.
speaking of rock, one of the founding members of Hawkwind died last week, Huw Lloyd-Langton - the following was always my favorite tune of theirs, really a throwback to the busker days of David Brock, and about as close as you can get to a song without a bridge
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
First of all you must verify that there either is or isn't a leak.

If there is a leak it needs to be fixed under warranty.

If there is no leak, check the controller.

If they say that the leak was fixed by others then physical and photographic proof will be shown to you by the owner without you even asking.
What my bowling buddy said with one addition. If someone "fixes" something I have done, any warranty is null and void, so don't expect me to fix someone else's idea of a "fix" under warranty.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
What my bowling buddy said with one addition. If someone "fixes" something I have done, any warranty is null and void, so don't expect me to fix someone else's idea of a "fix" under warranty.
One of the nice things about being in the biz long enough, is it's easy to void a warranty, and the dickwads who called Joe Boots instead of the installer deserve it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was called out once by a landscape contractor who relied on his employees to do any actual work, including irrigation design and installs. His customer was complaining about high water bills and he wanted me to check for leaks. It was all programming errors. 12 zones, every day x 30 min per day. Mowers left wheel ruts and mushrooms abounded.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

was there a master valve ? If so the water bill would be their problem , since it would be programing . My phone always rings off the hook when the water bills come out , 95% of the time the controller is programed either too long or has multible start times programed in by the customer . Once someone else repairs or attempts a repair , warranty is void .
Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
was there a master valve ? If so the water bill would be their problem , since it would be programing . My phone always rings off the hook when the water bills come out , 95% of the time the controller is programed either too long or has multible start times programed in by the customer . Once someone else repairs or attempts a repair , warranty is void .
My personal favorite is when you get this call:

"Umm yes, YOU installed MY sprinkler system about a year ago and told me I have 9 zones. I can only program 4 start times and I can only run each zone a maximum of 12min and 59sec (12:59), then it starts back at 1min (1:00)and the system now runs all the time like it has a mind of it's own. I thought you were a good guy but you screwed me."

Me- "Ma'am, I believe you are setting start times, which begins a program. You adjust individual run times when the dial is turned to 'Run Time."

"Oh, I am sorry. Thanks Bye!"
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm subscribed, I want to see what the original poster has to say. Sounds like a ridiculous client if you ask me and I want to know how they were able to determine there was a leak in the irrigation system.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I remember a call one autumn from a new homeowner who wanted her sprinkler system tested for leaks, on account of there had to be major leakage, based on what the seller told her what they were paying for the sprinkling water in a season's time. It was one of those calls where you can hear the tone of accusation in the caller's voice.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
It was one of those calls where you can hear the tone of accusation in the caller's voice.
I've had those calls, as well. One is tempted to say, "look honey, it's not my system, and if you keep ragging on me for something I had nothing to do with, this call is over, big time".