Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions with starting a Landscaping Business

I am looking to start a business in the spring, just myself with no employees for atleast two years and I am just wondering which ways to go about it in some areas. I am very familiar with the field having seven years in running a landscaping crew. I feel its time to go about doing my own thing before heads but with the boss in how to do things. I have a name picked out and have a pickup truck, 14' trailer and backpack blower. Need to get myself a mower and was thinking about getting a leftover 52" stander and making payments on it. would this be a good idea? i know i should start with no debt but would using my saving for future material purchases and business expenses be a better way to go? I also need to get the obvious chainsaw and weed wacker and hedge trimmer. Any advise about getting this going for the spring? my plan is to send out about 10,000 postcards or doorhangers in february or march or should those go out right when the new year starts?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Sponsor

Know your cost first

Getting accounts is the easiest part of the new start-up. Understanding your cost per hour of operation is where most people / companies fail.

To answer your question on marketing, yes the best time to attract residential accounts is in the spring just before start up. You mentioned 10k pieces. Instead of putting out 10k at one time, take an area and hit the same area three times with 1/3 of the volume. Consistency is the key. Very few people buy anything on the first contact. Think about McDonald's, Budweiser, anyone that advertises. You here it over and over. None of us have their budgets, but what we can take away from that is the need for consistency.

We offer a couple items you may be interested in attracting new clients, the way to get them, when to go after them, and many other techniques that we have found successful over the last 33 years. We have a manual that explains this in detail and CD that is full of templates for you to use. They are customizable by you to fit your company and the services you offer. Check out our marketing your lawn and landscape information at www.profitsareus.com

Put our 33 years of experience and knowledge to work for you.
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979