Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2012, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

The main reason most of us want to stay solo is because its hard to find good help. I had 10 guys work for me over the summer. No calls no shows lazy high drunk poor quality all ads up to solo. But again I turn a lot of work away because I just don't have time. I'm thinking of trying something out next season and maybe you guys have tried it but I'm
goung to pay per yard instead of per hour. I have enough equipment to run two crews. So my idea is to start them off with part time say 20 lawns per week at 10 per lawn
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry hit submit before I was done!! Ill give them 5 days or less to complete those lawns. If they seem to handle those 20 okay make them "full" time with 30- 40 per week. As far as quality before and after photos sent to my phone after every cut. To me per cut instead of per hour eliminates the lazy ones who milk the clock loading and unloading smoking and talking on cellphones etc... they set there own schedule as long as they get all properties done. If they don't complete there work on time or bad quality for say three weeks they are cut back or cut off! Whats your thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Based on a 40 hour week you'd be paying your guys between $7.5 and $10 an hour. Maybe this is the reason your guys don't show or show up sauced from the night before?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

jr. maybe you were sauced when you read my post! i would give them x amount of yards pay them per yard. if they dont get them done no pay!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Right, if it takes them 40 hours to do those yards, based on YOUR pricing this is what I came out with for a pay scale. If they can't get those 40 yards done in 40 hours you would be paying them close to minimum wage.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a great idea, but you need to figure it out on your own. We don't know how long it takes to get the yards done and their are always 10 guys ready to jump you on this site because they didn't read every post or because you didn't give enough details.

How long does each of these yards take? 20 yards= ? hours.
IMO 5 days to get 20 yards done is unacceptable unless these are huge properties, in which I wouldn't hand them over to high, drunk, pi$$ poor workers. If they take an hour or less each they should have them done in two days.

Customer's pay for prompt service, make sure you can get an employee who can do that.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 12-11-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my average lawn size is around an acre. some smaller, others way bigger.

my first year, doing everything by myself, I would average around 7-9 a day. some times more.

when I hired a worker my second year, I doubled my production immediately, mowing anywhere from 13-18 a day, just depends on which account i was doing that day, as i have one 5 acre property and another 5 acre property, but only 2 1/2 acres are mowable.

I got so much done my second year, we only worked 1-2 days a week, sometimes 3, because I only had 25 accounts we serviced on a schedule.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
my average lawn size is around an acre. some smaller, others way bigger.

my first year, doing everything by myself, I would average around 7-9 a day. some times more.

when I hired a worker my second year, I doubled my production immediately, mowing anywhere from 13-18 a day, just depends on which account i was doing that day, as i have one 5 acre property and another 5 acre property, but only 2 1/2 acres are mowable.

I got so much done my second year, we only worked 1-2 days a week, sometimes 3, because I only had 25 accounts we serviced on a schedule.
I don't understand why you would hire someone if you weren't maxed out working by yourself. Are you just part time on lawn care or something?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I don't understand why you would hire someone if you weren't maxed out working by yourself. Are you just part time on lawn care or something?
For now i am, because im in college getting a business degree and when i started i was going to college for a welding certification, in case lawn care goes in the toilet. but im planning on going full time with lawn care in 2014.

Basically, on the days I dont have class which are 4 days including the weekend, im out there working. sometimes after class, though, i have time to mow 2 or 3.

it would be hard to service 38 clients with out someone to help me.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like you can get it all done by yourself, but that is what I can do, everyone pushes themselves at different paces.

If only 2.5 acres are mowed on a 5 acre property, make sure you say that your are mowing 2.5 acres. Because you just went from apprx. 3 hours of cutting down to 1.5 hours with one 60" mower and one guy weedwacking.

-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN