Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it worth it ?

Thinking of getting out of the business due to so much money going to taxes! Just seems like I can work a "normal" job and have less problems and end up making the same amount of money.I really enjoy landscaping but is it all worth it? Ive only been in business for 3 years. I am only 20 what to do? stay or go? Its a rainy day so been thinking alot
Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Hang in there, write as many write offs as you can, keep as much cash as you can. You work for yourself. Life has many ups and downs, stick with your goal, one day it will all pay off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im your age too. To me its worth it. were starting young. we have time to grow and make alot more money. Alot of people i talk to say they wish they started at our age instead of 25. I really wouldnt want to work for someone else. I plan to keep at it so by the time im 25 i should be fully rocking and rolling instead of just starting out. me personally if i quit and went to work for someone else i would fully regret it down the road. To me there something about owning my own company and love seeing my truck with my company name on it or driving past a yard you cut and seeing it look so nice or a job you did that just looks awesome when i see that all i can do is smile. i obviously dont know you but i think if you quit this and went to work for someone else you would regret it
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 320D LRR View Post
im your age too. To me its worth it. were starting young. we have time to grow and make alot more money. Alot of people i talk to say they wish they started at our age instead of 25. I really wouldnt want to work for someone else. I plan to keep at it so by the time im 25 i should be fully rocking and rolling instead of just starting out. me personally if i quit and went to work for someone else i would fully regret it down the road. To me there something about owning my own company and love seeing my truck with my company name on it or driving past a yard you cut and seeing it look so nice or a job you did that just looks awesome when i see that all i can do is smile. i obviously dont know you but i think if you quit this and went to work for someone else you would regret it
Yeah your right the feeling of owning a company is great.I think also this time of the year gets to me when I have less work to keep me busy. Thinking can be the best thing and also worst!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucklover View Post
Thinking of getting out of the business due to so much money going to taxes! Just seems like I can work a "normal" job and have less problems and end up making the same amount of money.I really enjoy landscaping but is it all worth it? Ive only been in business for 3 years. I am only 20 what to do? stay or go? Its a rainy day so been thinking alot
While you have time make an appt. with a CPA and discuss different business structures. A good CPA can save you thousands in taxes.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
While you have time make an appt. with a CPA and discuss different business structures. A good CPA can save you thousands in taxes.
Agree 100%. Stick with it, you're young and like 320 said, if you have the ambition you can have a pretty decent company built before you are 30.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thread. I was thinking about that today as well

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Stick in there bud. I'm a 26 year old Business Marketing and Management double major. After 5 years, $50k in debt from student loans, I can promise you one thing. Nothing will ever replace the fun of going to work for yourself. Sure its hard, sure its emotionally and physically draining, but at the end of the day you can stand up and say with pride that your no one's "B**CH". You run the show.

I double majored in school because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've watched countless friends start out making way more than I am. But the older I'm getting, the more I'm realizing that nothing can compare to the experience you gain as a small business owner. I've used more of my college education running this business than I ever would have at any other job. Sure its hard work, sure times are tough, but stick with it bro. The only thing stopping you from succeeding is YOU!

Funny, the older I'm getting, I'm watching more and more of my friends complain about how completely unhappy they are with their jobs and lives. Thats one thing I can honestly say is that I may not be getting paid as much as they are right now, but I wake up every morning with a smile on my face, knowing that I control my own destiny.

If this helps you any, I've got a friend of mine who did this since he was 16. He went through all the hard times you are going through with the same idea that "He makes his own destiny". Today, my friend is 24 years old and just bought his first $1.4 million house. So trust me, stick with it and the only thing stopping you is YOU!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS_Birmingham View Post
Stick in there bud. I'm a 26 year old Business Marketing and Management double major. After 5 years, $50k in debt from student loans, I can promise you one thing. Nothing will ever replace the fun of going to work for yourself. Sure its hard, sure its emotionally and physically draining, but at the end of the day you can stand up and say with pride that your no one's "B**CH". You run the show.

I double majored in school because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've watched countless friends start out making way more than I am. But the older I'm getting, the more I'm realizing that nothing can compare to the experience you gain as a small business owner. I've used more of my college education running this business than I ever would have at any other job. Sure its hard work, sure times are tough, but stick with it bro. The only thing stopping you from succeeding is YOU!

Funny, the older I'm getting, I'm watching more and more of my friends complain about how completely unhappy they are with their jobs and lives. Thats one thing I can honestly say is that I may not be getting paid as much as they are right now, but I wake up every morning with a smile on my face, knowing that I control my own destiny.

If this helps you any, I've got a friend of mine who did this since he was 16. He went through all the hard times you are going through with the same idea that "He makes his own destiny". Today, my friend is 24 years old and just bought his first $1.4 million house. So trust me, stick with it and the only thing stopping you is YOU!
That does make me feel better I just picked up two more lawns for next year yesterday! Im getting 15k-20K flyers made so this year is make or break haha
Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trucklover,

Why don't you post some specifics of what taxes are killing you?

What amount did you pay in federal income tax?
Self-employment tax?
State income tax?

It is hard to help or give much advice without knowing more of your situation...