Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Employee issues, do I ask too much? A few questions.

First post, I've been in business since '98 and have had employees since about 2001.
I have not taken any courses in how to manage a crew and while I get by alright it is NOT my strong point. I am struggling a bit particularly with kids born in the late 80's to 90's, I suppose. It's really stressful for me to remain on good terms with them, and let them know how "I really fell". So often I just let it slide. Not healthy for me or my vision for the business, that said my vision may not be reality.

I pay well ($1+ above average local rate) to start. I expect a lot from my employees and don't like to see them standing there without being productive.

1) If you are raking- feel free to talk but don't stop raking to talk!
Is that asking too much? How do you go about bringing this up without being the angry stressed out control freak....that you really are? Is there a decent way to deal with this that they will adhere to even when you turn your back? I've mainly come up and raked/talked by example but found that it isn't contagious unless I'm actually a part of it. Giving crap doesn't create a positive working environment, either.
**Is there a certain amount of non-producing time that is to be allowed/expected? They do get breaks and lunches.

2) Today I asked a guy to wear the cap provided and not a cap from home- he claims his heads too big. Really? If so what would you do? You can't just buy one giant melon cap, everything comes by the doz...
So, if he doesn't have to wear it, others may pull it too. Unsure what to do and I suppose need to deal with this asap.

There's more but that's a good start I figure!

Thanks for any thoughts!!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gater123456 View Post
First post, I've been in business since '98 and have had employees since about 2001.
I have not taken any courses in how to manage a crew and while I get by alright it is NOT my strong point. I am struggling a bit particularly with kids born in the late 80's to 90's, I suppose. It's really stressful for me to remain on good terms with them, and let them know how "I really fell". So often I just let it slide. Not healthy for me or my vision for the business, that said my vision may not be reality.

I pay well ($1+ above average local rate) to start. I expect a lot from my employees and don't like to see them standing there without being productive.

1) If you are raking- feel free to talk but don't stop raking to talk!
Is that asking too much? How do you go about bringing this up without being the angry stressed out control freak....that you really are? Is there a decent way to deal with this that they will adhere to even when you turn your back? I've mainly come up and raked/talked by example but found that it isn't contagious unless I'm actually a part of it. Giving crap doesn't create a positive working environment, either.
**Is there a certain amount of non-producing time that is to be allowed/expected? They do get breaks and lunches.

2) Today I asked a guy to wear the cap provided and not a cap from home- he claims his heads too big. Really? If so what would you do? You can't just buy one giant melon cap, everything comes by the doz...
So, if he doesn't have to wear it, others may pull it too. Unsure what to do and I suppose need to deal with this asap.

There's more but that's a good start I figure!

Thanks for any thoughts!!
why is everyone so worried about hats??

don't you have company shirts?

buy him a hat he likes and stick your logo on it sheesh.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 AM
Sponsor

Your employees work for you. You pay them with the expectation of completing certain task during the course of the work day. You should not have to cater to your employees needs above and beyond your own needs and expectations. If your employees are either not willing or able to follow your instructions or orders Sack them.
You do not need to squander any more emotional capital on this matter. Your employees are an asset for your business, only become a liability if you allow them to become one.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

A $1 more then what is how much an hour that you pay them?

If they are ball caps there are one's that can be bought that are adjustable.

Better to educate them in your approach then to be negative. It has to start at the hiring process. Explain that them coming to work there is not to provide them with a job. It is to enable the business to provide service to the customer. Behavior that does not get the work done or the required quality level is not acceptable.

Conduct that hurts the business' ability to make income. That income needs to be there for everyone working here to keep their jobs. That is what being professional is. Being professional is how businesses stay in business and grow.

You have just laid the ground work on how to bring up things that need to be addressed.

You see guys are standing still talking. You walk to them and say all this talking is taking us off task let's get back to the work. In this manner you did not directly attack them but gave them a reminder and the opportunity to chose to correct their behavior. Asking and providing a choice always works better then demanding.

If you find yourself saying this too much then you replace them.

Worse to keep things bottled up.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you're worrying too much. If they show up on time and do what they're told I wouldn't worry about conversations here and there. When you start acting like that you won't get good employees

What the hell is with people complaining about hats lately
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

A wide range of answers, that's why I've signed up here thanks very much!

Regarding why I'm in the business of forcing hat wearing? Golf courses, hotels, McDonald's have employees wearing hats. It adds professionalism. They are on my time while at work. I give more benefits than most companies can imagine, part of the deal is if they wear a hat it's to be MY hat.
The question was what would you do in this case, not whether or not you think hats in your own business model make sense. But, thanks for the tips.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Not many in the late 80's 'til now generation possess the old school work ethic you are expecting.

If they are stopping to talk a few seconds here and there I don't see a big deal.

I don't know about the hats, I don't wear one and won't force anyone else to either. I can understand if they usually wear a hat that you would like them to wear one with your logo but I think wearing a company shirt is presentable enough unless you are servicing million dollar homes all day long.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA GrassChoppers View Post
Not many in the late 80's 'til now generation possess the old school work ethic you are expecting.

If they are stopping to talk a few seconds here and there I don't see a big deal.

I don't know about the hats, I don't wear one and won't force anyone else to either. I can understand if they usually wear a hat that you would like them to wear one with your logo but I think wearing a company shirt is presentable enough unless you are servicing million dollar homes all day long.
Yup I don't wear hats and you can't make me either lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Yup I don't wear hats and you can't make me either lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I now see why you are criticizing my uniform, you don't wear hats personally...

And, yes we are doing multimillion dollar homes. That is all we do. Well, and terribly expensive townhomes on the golf courses and ski slopes.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gater123456 View Post
I now see why you are criticizing my uniform, you don't wear hats personally...

And, yes we are doing multimillion dollar homes. That is all we do. Well, and terribly expensive townhomes on the golf courses and ski slopes.
Not criticizing you. There's been a bunch of people whining about hats lately.

If a person doesn't want to wear a hat what difference is it going to make if they're still in full uniform. Some people aren't hat people.

And they say wearing hats will make you go bald lol
Posted via Mobile Device