Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecotech View Post
... the life of the engine and wear on the internals is much better than gas. Longevity and reliability are drastically better. ...
OK, say a regular engine that runs on gas will have a useful life of 3,000 hours ... if the same engine runs on propane, how many hours will it last ??
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
It is killing me not being able to get this thing!
Posted via Mobile Device
Im heading down to Daytona, Florida the day after Christmas towing a 7x16 enclosed trailer with room in it. Lol

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetree View Post
OK, say a regular engine that runs on gas will have a useful life of 3,000 hours ... if the same engine runs on propane, how many hours will it last ??
When I was purchasing, I didn't see any actual hour counts, but did see up to 40% higher. The reason they say the engines last longer is how propane burns compared to gasoline and the reduction in emmisions. I know it is much easier on the carb and doesn't require adjustment. My own experience trying both out since it is dual fuel, propane starts first try with no choke under propane, gas requires choke till it starts to fire, then no choke and it starts.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

New Price $10,500

Financed through Sheffield if interested in a transfer
Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
... I didn't see any actual hour counts, but did see up to 40% higher. ...
Well, that sounds like it may be worth it, a gas engine is usually rated for approximately 3,000 hours ... so if you use propane that would equate to about 4,200 hours !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that's really good especially for a gas engine. That is ALOT of hours!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious where would you go to fill up the propane tanks? Also how much Is it to fill them up and how many hours can you run on them? THANKS in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Well, that sounds like it may be worth it, a gas engine is usually rated for approximately 3,000 hours ... so if you use propane that would equate to about 4,200 hours !!
I was trying to find specific engine life for the Kubota 3 cylinder engine and see over 5000 hours in many applications before any major overhaul would be needed. I saw people claiming the same engine in a generator has seen over 25k hours, but that is a different kind of load compared to a mower. The engine itself is based on the diesel engine so it is definitely built to last.

Quote:
Just curious where would you go to fill up the propane tanks? Also how much Is it to fill them up and how many hours can you run on them? THANKS in advance!
The mower has twin 7.9 gallon propane tanks and right now propane is around $2.00 a gallon from one of our local companies, so its usually around $35 or there about. Since they are the same tanks as forklifts you can usually find an exchange where they will even deliver the tanks, or you can do what I do and just bring the tanks and have them filled. They only take a minute or two per tank. On full tanks I can usually run around 8 - 9 hours before filling.

I have heard on people working with the propane companies where they will install a filling station at your home or company which lowers the fill costs even more.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
5.5 hrs on a tank with the big Briggs. Many dealers are handling propane but there are people who will deliver. I have 4 tanks and that is enough for one week then i go get propane.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I was trying to find specific engine life for the Kubota 3 cylinder engine and see over 5000 hours in many applications before any major overhaul would be needed. I saw people claiming the same engine in a generator has seen over 25k hours, but that is a different kind of load compared to a mower. The engine itself is based on the diesel engine so it is definitely built to last.

The mower has twin 7.9 gallon propane tanks and right now propane is around $2.00 a gallon from one of our local companies, so its usually around $35 or there about. OSince they are the same tanks as forklifts you can usually find an exchange where they will even deliver the tanks, or you can do what I do and just bring the tanks and have them filled. They only take a minute or two per tank. On full tanks I can usually run around 8 - 9 hours before filling.

I have heard on people working with the propane companies where they will install a filling station at your home or company which lowers the fill costs even more.
Woow that is pretty awesome that makes me a little more interested in propane now. Even though it would be a long while before I ever get to use one. Do you feel the mower more weighted down with them in? Or like do they get in the way? Really hope this sells for u soon man!
Posted via Mobile Device