Snapper: CP218520
21351PD new engine
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2 KM90 trimmer edger blower
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:single stage snow thrower

I Like Shindaiwa and Kawasaki more than Stihl, with the exception of handheld blowers. Think Scag and Snapper mowers are the best. Just My .02.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I trim a mile of fence with another guy a coupla times a season, takes about an hour. Only under the fence (about a foot) at a slow walk.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've scanned the posts in this thread, but I don't think the OP ever said what kind of fence. Is it an electric fence, with steel posts, a rail fence, how does the fence interface with the ground, what is the clearance between wire/rail? The time to do this work would depend greatly on the kind of fence.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I've scanned the posts in this thread, but I don't think the OP ever said what kind of fence. Is it an electric fence, with steel posts, a rail fence, how does the fence interface with the ground, what is the clearance between wire/rail? The time to do this work would depend greatly on the kind of fence.
Roger, exactly what I was thinking. There is a whole lot of difference between trimming chain link or woven wire and something like barbed wire that has clearance from the ground. Also, we need more information as to the conditions. It would take a whole lot longer if the fence is on a steep slope instead of level ground.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good question Roger, I do a chain-link that is about 1/4 mile long every other mow. It is deep on the back side. I only do the side facing the pond area that I mow. This rough fence line always looks bad but this is what the owner wants. It takes a LOT of line when trying to get it to look decent. .095 line on a lesser power weed whip seems to make the line last the best.

Not knowing what type of fence, either way it would be a goal to get to is to be able to walk at a slow or moderate speed and still get a good looking job. More than likely this would be possable with Round-Up to help keep the big thick weeds and tree start ups knocked down. A moderate walking speed should not take 64 man hours. Some one is milking this job.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
This is a good point and I left that detail out of my first post (post #7). That fence I do is chainlink.

If it were rail or plastic etc, it would take a lot less time than it does, but it at least included the fact that I have to cut the grass and crap back from the fence about an equal amount as the OP said he is expected to do, and is fairly rough and is banked at places all along it, so should give at least some idea of time.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
I've got about a 1/3 to 1/2 mile fence row that I do about once a month. I have to clear/mow roughly 1 foot on the inside of the fence and from the fence to the road (about 10 ft). I mow part with a ZTR, the inside of the fence with a push mower (junky Yard Machine 4 hp mower), part of the slopes I can't get with the ZTR with the push mower, and there's part of the land that is so steep you have to do it with a string trimmer. I'm over 60, and in 100 degree heat, it takes me 4 hrs. With a second guy it takes 2 hrs. I've done it both ways!

Part of a 15 acre parcel just inside this fence, I also trim around all the trees, then around a 1-2 acre lake (at least 3 ft that can't be mowed with a bush hog because of the trees, brush and rough terrain) and the dam at the end of the lake and it takes about 3 to 4 hrs for one guy. Do this twice a year.

There are a lot of variables that can't be identified/quantified from just your description of 1 mile of fence and 3 ft out from the fence, but from what I have performed on my fence row, etc., I would say you're looking at 4 to 5 hrs for one guy. If you're talking really thick, tall grass then I would probably make my first pass with a blade, followed with a touch up with the string. Might use a walk behind trimmer depending on how rough the land is. If it's too rough, I find a regular push mower and trimmer can work about as well as anything. Like I said, without actually seeing it, it's a little tough to know for sure!
I said to just get a walk behind string trimmer too.

Snapper: CP218520
21351PD new engine
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2 KM90 trimmer edger blower
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:single stage snow thrower

I Like Shindaiwa and Kawasaki more than Stihl, with the exception of handheld blowers. Think Scag and Snapper mowers are the best. Just My .02.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a walk-behind string trimmer, it is not self propelled. There is no way I would take on a mile of fence pushing that trimmer around. I guess there is self propelled units, but still there to big and NOT user friendly more like awkward and slower than you think. I got mine used and do not pay much for it and glad I did. I would hate to have paid full price of mine, it is not what it appears.