Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

adding fertilizer and weed controll services

Hey guys, I need some help on knowing what route I should take. I am adding fertilization and weed control services to my business this coming season. I am getting my applicators license in January or February. I would like to get a 200 gallon skid sprayer and some back sprayers to start out the season. I don't know what equipment is good to use, also i'm not familiar with the different herbicides, or fertilizer for tank spraying and how to mix it. Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful! Its all pretty new to me. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need a supplier education. Tuition is reasonable. Take your fertilizer salesman to lunch. Pump him for information.

Also read a few hundred posts right here. Just do not compete or undercut our regular members, OK?

Go to a turf conference or three. There is a lot to learn. There are a lot of salesmen to meet. You need knowledge--but no amount of smarts substitutes for hard work.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you doing this service as a stand alone service or adding it to an existing lawn service? Work solo?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice, I have gone to one of the suppliers here and learned a fair amount from him. I have been undercut by people in the past and it make me mad, I would never do it to anybody. I will see what conferences are coming and sign up for those, the more I know the better. I don't want to damage any body's lawn, i have seen it done by other companies in the area I don't want to be that company. What kind of sprayer would you recommend for residential properties? thank you!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

It will be an addition to my lawn care company. I have a lot of requests for fertilizing but mostly weed control. I'm to currently licensed so i couldn't really help them. I have heard it can be decently lucrative. I have 3 employee's in the summer but I would just it my self.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This last season I pushed fertilizer and put down more than prior years combined. No license required for fert here. In Idaho we apply herbicide on a limited basis and I sprayed waaay more on my own property than for hire "when requested" [idaho loophole] ...yeah I know it violates federal law.

The weather was so uncooperative either wind or rain It was an a absolute uphill battle to spot spray much of anything with a back pack sprayer. Unless one sprays right after mowing.....supposed to wait 48 hours.....it rarely ever happened.

One head applicator near retirement who works for a good sized local co. honestly leveled with me and said if we strictly followed guidelines and rules for spraying.....we'd rarely ever spray herbicides....?

I will be licensed asap for lawn but I'm still wondering how on earth I'll ever be able to spray running solo and not work 7 days a week....?
Posted via Mobile Device