Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna 323L vs 326LS - for light weight trimmer - exhaust issue too

Based on recommendation from this site, I have been trying to decide between these two machines. But, to find them both in the same spot to compare has been difficult. One complaint about the 323L was the exhaust position and angle and it does look like it could spew at your arm/body if you tilt the machine 90 degrees to edge something. Has anybody had this problem and does the 326LS use the same exhaust?

Does anybody have any words of wisdom to sway me either way or do you have another LIGHT WEIGHT trimmer you would recommend? It must be LIGHT. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using Husky's 323L trimmer for quite a few years. I have a dedicated edger but most of the time I use the 323L to edge with while trimming. One less trip back to the trailer. I've never had any problem with the exhaust hitting my arm or body. As far as I'm concerned Husky makes the best trimmer on the market. I like the T35 head that comes with it more than the speedfeed heads that are so popular now.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I second what mowerman says...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Buy the 323. The 326 is heavier than stated on their site.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with all the posts above.

The 326 has a couple nice features, like a skid plate under the engine for example, but it is a full lb heavier than the 323L. The venting on the engine shroud is a designed little better to keep heat away from your elbow and forearm while running, but those alone would not make the choice for me.

If a shop has both, hold them in several positions, one right after the other, and decide what feels best to you.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't find a shop with both. I brought my light weight Tanaka with me for comparison and my only concern is the exhaust, when I go to tilt it to edge. I am going to look at the 326LS tomorrow, but I am looking for lightweight. I just don't want to make a mistake with this exhaust issue. But, it sounds like you guys are ok with it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It isn't the exhaust that hits your arm at times. it's the heat from the engine coming through the vent slots in the shroud. They are located bettter on the 326, but I rarely have a problem with my 223 which is the same shroud and weight as the 323, but the 323 has a bit more power and a solid drive shaft. It will be my next trimmer, and I doubt I'll wait for the 223 to get tired to buy it. I really like Husky's trimmer and blowers.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

for a light weight trimmer, i personally like the shindaiwa T242.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have them both but because of a few issues I used each for parts for the other. As of now I only have the 326 running. I took the shaft off the 323, which has about 5 different problems.

South Eastern Connecticut Pressure Washing

South Eastern Connecticut Spring and Fall Clean Up

52" Brutus/52" Super Surfer/44" Pro Line/60" ZMaster
EB630/EB802/EBZ7150/EBZ8000/BR400/Billy Goat 8Hp
2 FS55/FS90/FC95/2 KM90/L322/L326/TR2350S
HC150/HC155/CHTZ2460
00/04 silverado 8ft Fisher/F250 01 9.5v Fisher/
CASE 1816/CASE 1845/
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

All my 2-stroke is Shindaiwa, BUT...

I've got (3) 282 trimmers (read BEAST...if it ain't WOOD, it'll cut it...like one of my guys said, "it's like a chainsaw on a stick!"), an EB 802 Backpack, the big hedge trimmer...can't remember which model, a 242 edger, and a 242 trimmer that I've used for 5 years HARD...it was my first purchase. Oh yeah, I've also got a Husq 145BT backpack that I bought slghtly used when I first started, and it starts EVERY TIME on the second pull no matter how long it's been sitting, but I grab the 802 most of the time. And a little Husq handheld for blowing off Apt. patios and such. On just ONE of the Cemeteries I maintain, it's 3 full days of all day trimming for 3 people...and these things have taken a beating and I've never even changed a spark plug....UNTIL...my 242 recently went out...not sure if it's the gear head, from my lack of keeping it lubed like I should, or if it's the clutch from dogging it for 5 years with too much string out (can't take too much). I'm gonna find out and probably fix it, though...still runs just like new. I can't complain at all though...I'm surprised they lasted even 2 years, considering. I recently bought another 282, it's the new style with the choke on the opposite side, and I've had an issue with it acting like it's not getting fuel...not turning up like it should, and not idling. Kinda disappointed me. That being said, I tried a friends Husq 326 for a whole day, and I REALLY liked that thing! It was SO light and nimble...it's like 3 lbs lighter (if I remember) than the 242 Shin, which is WAY light, after you've been running a 282 all day. I'm gonna buy a 326 probably in the spring to extend my warranty while it's being used. It's actually stronger than the 242...noticably so...nothing like the 282, but it did really well on some HEAVY grass for a whole day and I could sling that thing around like nobodies business! The only downside I noticed was the fuel capacity...that's a small darn tank. Oh well, I guess it's a reason to rest my arms and chug a Monster for a minute while I re-fuel. I'm just hoping that my experience with the newer style 282's aren't a sign of things to come. I use that Oregon .105 Square Green string, and DEFINITELY the Speed Feed Heads...wouldn't be without them. Just my 2 cents worth...
-David