Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Geotextile use question

I noticed over the past few months that some of you guys swear by it. I personally have never seen it being used in NY. However, I have a customer that has a terrible concrete driveway, a real anklebreaker. they want me to rip it out and put the base down now, then do the pavers in the spring and I'm interested in using geotex if thats the best way to do the job. This is my first paver drieway, I want it to hold up well.

Now hand in hand with this, I do my borders on a 6" concrete footing and mortared down. I've caught heat on here for doing it this way but I'm justifying it by looking at asphalt guys that don't use geotex and also set their paver and cobblestone borders on the same style concrete footing. I know that asphalt isnt permeable to water like pavers so maybe this is the reason that they don't, but it doesnt explain away the footings. I know to be real load bearing footings they would need to be below the frost line, but the driveway or patio is not below the frost line, and therefore moves with the frost.

Do I put the footings on the geotex, or let the geotex come to the inside of the footing? call me an idiot for doing it on footings but around here many contractors do and those who use plastic snap edge are looked down on as mower jockeys.

I'll throw a few pics on showing my footing system for those that cant visualize it

Really no way to use a plastic edge restraint on half of this walkway anyway.

and here is a blacktop drive that i removed and excavated for new base and pavers to be installed. (not my job, just hired for the excavating and hauling.) cobblestone borders on concrete footings to be left in place.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use geo-textile under the driveway and your "footings". We use geo-textile on 100% of our driveways. I would extend the geo-textile at least a foot beyond the outside of your footings. We usually put in multiple layers of fabric as well. Because of the vehicular load. Not one on top of each other but equally spaced out in the base aggregate.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

how many inches should I be putting? I know it depends on existing soils but most guys only put about 4/6" around here.

What does the geotex beyond the footings achieve
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not a believer in concrete being used with pavers. Never was. And two years ago we had to repair a paver driveway done by others that had concrete on the perimeter. I believe that Longterm it created more problems than benefits. To each his own.

Just because you don't see something being used doesn't mean that's gospil. And then again - most of our jobs are in backyards or at properties that are off the road and not visible, so none of us really see much of what others do.

A roll of good fabric is around $600.00. Most contractors do not want to spend $600. So they craft every reason not to use it. This equates to around 9 cents per sq ft. It's cheap insurance. From day one all my paver jobs have always had fabric. And always will. The costs of the fabric is factored into the job at hand. There is waste. So I factor in an additional 15% to account for fabric waste. I don't care what ICPI says or doesn't say. We use it.

Don't worry about what others in your area do and or do not do. Set yourself apart.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Generally for a driveway we put in 8" - 12" of base. Some may say that is excessive, but there is nothing worse than driving by a house and seeing ruts in the paver driveway. Driveways are usually always highly visible, do it correct.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok i just need to find a manufacturer that sells in my area. I don't want to get sold some weed barrier by accident
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All our pavers used in vehicular applications have 12-inches of base.

Many folks say that 8-inches will suffice. Again, insurance. Why risk having to come back, what's another 4-inches?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys are lucky in the south! Less work for you! Up here in Canada for a standard vehicle driveway we dig down 24". Add the fabric, lay down a good base of 4" rock The rest is all GA 5/8-, watered and compacted every 4". Then we add a final 1/2" of stone dust to level our pavers.
Complete lawn care services
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$600 seems steep for a roll of geotextile, but either way you will never regret installing fabric.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
$600 seems steep for a roll of geotextile, but either way you will never regret installing fabric.

for a 15' wide roll - it around $0.09 / sf. usually loaded and unloaded with a skid steer or fork lift.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.