Register free!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Marking dye

I usually add marking dye to my weed control. No more!!!! Got a call from my customer saying she was trying to wash it off her cat and herself. She was shrubing and it would not come off. A little of it got sprayed on the side of the house at the bottom near the weedy flowerbed and she was also trying to get that off. She was pissed. I told her sunlight will break it down. She says if it dont come off that she wants the siding replaced. No more dye for me. Anyone have a problem with this stuff?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We used a dye when we would spot spray weeds at my uncle's blueberry farm. I can't remember what it stuff it was exactly, it was a blue dye. It definitely was tough to get off if you got any on your skin but it always came out. I had it on my clothes and it always came out in the wash.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I usually add marking dye to my weed control. No more!!!! Got a call from my customer saying she was trying to wash it off her cat and herself. She was shrubing and it would not come off. A little of it got sprayed on the side of the house at the bottom near the weedy flowerbed and she was also trying to get that off. She was pissed. I told her sunlight will break it down. She says if it dont come off that she wants the siding replaced. No more dye for me. Anyone have a problem with this stuff?
I'll bet if you called or emailed the company and told them your situation, they would be happy to tell you the best way to remove it.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is a mess for sure but it does go away. Maybe you used turf paint instead of marker? Paint would were longer and be harder to remove.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why do you even need to use dye?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Why do you even need to use dye?
When you are spraying large areas it keeps you from going over the same area twice. I know the golf course I used to work at put dye in any liquid they were applying until they bought a new machine that had a sud maker on it. The bubbles would drop out the ends to mark your edges instead of using dye.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always use Mark-It Blue in my backpack sprayers, and I've never had a customer complain. If you spill the concentrate on cement, you'll have virtually no luck cleaning it off though. Then they'll have grounds to complain for sure.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
I always use Mark-It Blue in my backpack sprayers, and I've never had a customer complain. If you spill the concentrate on cement, you'll have virtually no luck cleaning it off though. Then they'll have grounds to complain for sure.
Why take the chance for a complaint?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Why take the chance for a complaint?
Strangely enough, my customers complain if I don't use it. They're all accustomed to looking for and seeing the blue dye which confirms that I did in fact spray their weeds. I've actually had customers call and question me because they came home and didn't see any blue, and thought I had skipped them that day because of it. That was a rare occasion that I didn't have any to add to the tank mix.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
Strangely enough, my customers complain if I don't use it. They're all accustomed to looking for and seeing the blue dye which confirms that I did in fact spray their weeds. I've actually had customers call and question me because they came home and didn't see any blue, and thought I had skipped them that day because of it. That was a rare occasion that I didn't have any to add to the tank mix.
Posted via Mobile Device
I keep using it for the same reason. I first started using it when burning out a yard for sod replacement, then figured out it would allow me to make sure I hit all weeds in the beds and did not miss any. I have never looked back...if I run out...I do have customers questions if I sprayed that week. For that reason alone it is worth it because here weeds can go from hardly any in the bed to full out invasion in a week. If they see we sprayed they know we did out job and it saves a phone call.

William - if it rubbed off on the cat - you might be missing it too strong. I used the concentrate , which literally just requires a drop per gallon. My helper went to miss some up for me while I was blowing off a driveway one day and did not realize that I had switched to the concentrate and added the normal amount . There was blue everywhere even next week when we showed up. Too strong.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!