Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

CAbover vs One ton dump

Been looking at cabover Isuzu trucks to get a larger body mainly for mulch delivery and brush/debris removal. My one ton dump is too small.

Does anybody have recommendations on a cabover or similar size truck (like a freightliner or ford 6 yard dump). I would like to have 4wd and it seems very hard to find in a cabover. Also trying to keep the price below 40 grand for new or very close to it... Probably puts me in a gas engine, but maybe not if used??
Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fg4x4 fuso by Mitsubishi makes 4x4. MSRP is like 43k with a diesel that comes standard, no gas. I've been tossing around the idea too. Subscribing to see more opinions.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Unless you're really wanting to tow something the cabover is definitely the way to go especially for deliveries, simply for maneuverability and the weight load capacity is just outstanding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I would like to tow a 10k trailer. Will the cabover handle that ok?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was hit head on by a woman who crossed the center line while taslking on her phone.
I was driving an Isuzu. Took me out for the entire season, only thing that saved me is I wasnt wearing a seatbelt as her car litteraly came thru the drivers seat.
I will never step foot in a cabover agaiin.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 mitsu 4*4, one isuzu , and one mitsu 2wheel.
4*4 are fine but in my opinion they are nott the truck to be in and out of all day, they are too tall and are a pain to climb in and out of.
The isuzu and mitsu that are 2 wheel drive both have 12 ft. Bodies, one is a rack and the other is aa trash body and we absolutely love them.
One hauls a sixteen foot enclosed daily and the other an eighteen foot enclosed daily.
The isuzu has the four cylinder and the mitsu has the six cylinder both do fine.
We like the cabovers because they are nimble, they dont squat, and they are fairly efficient on fuel.
Downsides tto cabovers.........
They go through tires more quickly, they go through trailer tires more quickly, you will want to extend trailer tongues to avoid jacknifing, if you live in a salt area you will want to spend a day each fall scuffing and painting frame and body as they have lots of nooks and crannys. But to us thats just maintenance.
Good luck with your decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your responses. For those of you that love cabovers, what is it that makes them appealing? I am looking for something that is more reliable/better constructed that the domestic one tons, and less costly to operate. Will the cabover meet that criteria?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Mitsubishi fuso and wouldn't trade it for anything. They are easy to maint, durable, reliable, and can haul a lot. I wish mine was faster but I don't ever get on the highway with it in my town. I feel like they are very safe, as it seems that any normal sized vehicle would go underneath the truck in a head on collision. anything SUV size or bigger isn't going to feel good with any vehicle your driving head on. Glad that guy is ok. As far as working out of them, I like it , and they are made for this kind of work. They turn good, stop good, easy to perform maint since the cab flips up to expose the motor, and they look professional when you pull up to a customers house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have just converted some of our conventional pick ups to cab overs. We use Mitsubishi fg 4x4 with switch and go systems on both. I have a folding sides dump bed, 10 yd container, flat bed, chipper body, and a salter. All go on and off inside of 3 minutes. Best thing I have ever did. Both set up with plows, 5 year, 175,000 power train warranty. Best fuel mileage in its class. I have talked to many truck builders and they all said the same thing. That the Mitsubishi was the way to go. Happy truck shopping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That switch and go sure sounds like a good option.

What does that add to the truck.,