Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

What do I use?

I have a family that just spent 15K (yea $15,000) on plants in their yard, their property is ony .5 acre. they have hired us but I have always just done maint. Cut edge blow. what do I need to put out for bugs/weeds etc.?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sub the app side make 10-15% and save a ton of time and maybe a 15k F up
Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
I have a family that just spent 15K (yea $15,000) on plants in their yard, their property is ony .5 acre. they have hired us but I have always just done maint. Cut edge blow. what do I need to put out for bugs/weeds etc.?
well what do you want to control? what state do you live in?i have alot of experience here.but i need to know what you wanna do, b4 i can begin to answer you...

corey
cwnla11@yahoo.com
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

well what do you want to control? what state do you live in?i have alot of experience here.but i need to know what you wanna do, b4 i can begin to answer you...

corey
cwnla11@yahoo.com
Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnla View Post

corey
cwnla11@yahoo.com
I agree, this sounds more like a fun project moreso than a problem to be farmed out...

Sometimes I wonder why people are in this business...
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is actually a very interesting thread. Im pretty new to the business and havent had any full service accounts (bed and flower maintenance year round)

If i were to guess, Id start by laying down preen in the spring? along with every few months. Check the leaves, top and underside, for any disease/pests every week. Stay on top of pulling weeds every week. Only put down pesticide when needed. Make sure you stay on top during times of drought, stressed plants are more susceptable to disease and pests in most cases. Not sure on how much horticulture background you have but Id identify some of the main species and learn some common problems they have.

Im interested in hearing what people have to say

EDIT- I agree with smallaxe, no way id sub this out. This is one of the most fun and rewarding things in horticulture, proper cultural maint, diagnoses and control.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea .... why sub it out when you can make mistakes on someone else's dime.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
WHAT DO I USE???
Since you are asking. If you are not going to refer your customer to a real professional, May I suggest Roundup and 2,4-D. That way you get the same results only quicker. Hello, it is only $ 15 K worth of plants you will need to replace.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure just how much of a novice you would have to be to mess up on keeping a bed of nursery plants clean and vibrant; I would be sure that the planting was not done incorrectly first of all... that is the mostly dangerous aspect of bed care that LCOs might deal with...

Weeding and Round-up applications should not be dangerous at all...

Learn what plants are there, the proper care/needs of each individual and prune to the aesthetics of the bed as a whole...

If you're responsible for planting them, then you have a whole different discussion... Some LCOs expect 60% success rate and that is Lame, lame and even worse, its lame...
Be sure to go into the project with both eyes open...