Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

My 2 cents

I don't like 1 men crew for the following reasons.

1. what if one person calls of sick which happens all the time in the lawn care industry. If you only have one man to the truck you miss a whole day or two of mowing. If you have a two man crew you can just send the one out and get the job done.

2. Morale will be low in the company. When you mow by yourself which I did for years you just don't have the same spunk as you do if you have a partner. You skip a spot in the backyard, you don't edge every week,just the little things you start slacking on because your trying to speed through everything to get it done.

I think if you have a strong one man worker throw him out their , but I wouldn't make all my crews one man.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just did some math on this for my business. I assumed that 1 guy could mow 32 lawns per 4-day week, and a 2 man crew could mow 54 lawns in a 4-day week. (these are based on my history with my actual customer route). Even after adding in the additional cost of a truck, the 1 man crews are way more profitable.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landgreen View Post
I have been considering one man crews as well. I have had two 2 man crews and then have cut back to one 2 man crew and one 1 man crew. The 1 man crew makes 33% more per man hour

Sometimes its difficult to find two guys that can work together anyway.

I'm thinking of 1/2 ton trucks, light custom single axle trailer just barely large enough to fit zeroturn and 36" WB. I would even consider a Ford Ranger if it had the courage to pull a trailer every day to help offset the extra fuel used.
There is a company locally that runs Rangers and single axle trailers with either 2 wb's or 1 wb and and a push.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
All I will say is that when I worked solo, I could cut 8 lawns per day. A two man crew can do an average of 14 per day. So the productivity is not double.

But splitting into 2 one-man crews would carry the extra cost of truck, truck fuel, and trailer. It would take a while to model a comparison on a spreadsheet.
Hackitdown you are right production does not double, this is the standard production model in economics based on the agricultural production model which spoke to farm workers.
I run alone, I am productive as I want to be.
The point I would like to make, and I think Agape mentioned is was that paying one person a little more and have them as a team leader is a good idea. What the two man crew brings to the work place is someone in charge of quality. It might be worth putting together a spread sheet check list for the leader of the crew to check off everything that YOU consider should be done on the property - I owe my entire business to other people crews who had to get x amount of lawns done by days end - I am great full.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker