Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use an Amex card that gives 3% back on gas from any station. It works out to about 10 cents per gallon. I spend about $1500/mo on gas, so $45 per mo back. My wife uses hers for groceries and it pays 6% back on anything you buy at the grocery store. We spend $1000 per month on groceries, so about $60 back.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
I use an Amex card that gives 3% back on gas from any station. It works out to about 10 cents per gallon. I spend about $1500/mo on gas, so $45 per mo back. My wife uses hers for groceries and it pays 6% back on anything you buy at the grocery store. We spend $1000 per month on groceries, so about $60 back.
Technically that should be shown as a refund to the company.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have fuel cards and use them when the bulk tanks get low before our next delivery. One card per truck, works out great for us, statment once a month and no more slips stuffed into a coffee can
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to be a little wary of fuel cards. They don't afford many of the same protections that a normal consumer fuel card does. I tried FuelMan last year (2011). I didn't care for their system and it was a pain in the rear to use the card. It took me 3 times as long to use the card in the gas station. This year I tried BP and it's a whole lot nicer. I have a card for the truck and one for the mowers. I can use the cards right at the pump and it takes me no more time than a regular credit card.

Like I first said though, make sure you thoroughly read and understand the terms and conditions associated with whatever card you decide to use. The late fees will seriously hurt you if you tend to let things go until the last minute. Make sure the card is easy to use.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You need to be a little wary of fuel cards. They don't afford many of the same protections that a normal consumer fuel card does. I tried FuelMan last year (2011). I didn't care for their system and it was a pain in the rear to use the card. It took me 3 times as long to use the card in the gas station. This year I tried BP and it's a whole lot nicer. I have a card for the truck and one for the mowers. I can use the cards right at the pump and it takes me no more time than a regular credit card.

Like I first said though, make sure you thoroughly read and understand the terms and conditions associated with whatever card you decide to use. The late fees will seriously hurt you if you tend to let things go until the last minute. Make sure the card is easy to use.
I noticed most of the fuelman cards do not have a master card or visa protection program on them.

What types of hassles did you have using them at the pump?

Frankly they are low on my list of things I am wanting try but I would try them in conjuntion with a GPS system.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure about all areas, but my taxes are different for on-road vs. off-road fuel use so we have two cards per truck. One for the truck and a different one for the mowers/trimmers fill ups. No interest unless I carry a balance. Works well.

Jason
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
What types of hassles did you have using them at the pump?
I couldn't use them at the pump. They're on a separate network from EVERYBODY else. I had to go inside, wait in line, give the guy my card, go outside, fill the truck, go inside, stand in line, get him to run the card through a separate card reader, sign that ticket, go back outside, fill the mowers and cans, go back inside, stand in line again, and get him to run the card again.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the Fuelman thing used to be mainly for trucking ( wholesale diesel) industry but is moving into fleet ( gas). I think they are slowly but surely getting Incorporated into the pay at the pump

I need to look at the pumps were I frequent, I know I have seen their logo and I thought it was on the pay at the pump with these cards. It could have been one of those accepted here stickers.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Always had great success with Wrights Express cards. Makes you enter truck mileage and a pin #. It's a gas only card too
Posted via Mobile Device