Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Kubota ZD331 review

Well I finally took delivery of my new ZD331 Kubota 60". I got it equipped with the dump from seater bagger and striping kit. So far I have put about 10 hours on it and I am very pleased so far. I was having a issue with it missing out with the bagger on but that has since went away. I bought the bagger for leaves this fall but used it on a lawn last week just so I could see how it works. I did a great job and filled even. It has a large window on top so you can see when you are about full which is a really nice feature. It is heavy and well made. It is a breeze to take off as you just pick your spot you want to drop it, pull four pins and drive away. The blower part is like Exmarks which is a breeze also to take off. The hose is a clear flexable hose with wire to make it stronger. The only thing I have found I dont like is where the hose goes onto the blower there is no hose clamp our anyway to keep it from blowing off. I did have it blow off on me twice the other day and it covers you with grass in a hurry. I am going to have to figure out a way to find a quick clamp system. The dealer told me they dont put hose clamps on it so you can take it off easy if it gets plugged. The striping kit on these mowers is pretty cool. It actually is spring loaded and when you raise the deck it goes up and locks up and out of harms way. It does not run the full length of the deck just between the tires but does a amazing job. It does make more noise than a typical kit does because of how it is designed. I did lose the bolt out of one end of it so I took both bolts out and put the strongest lock tight I could find on them so hopefully that fixes that problem. The mower itself is powerful and well built. The diesel has a ton of torque and is quiet. It rides well with the pivoting front axle and weight. I have found it to be very comfortable to operate also. When I took the bagger off I did leave the front weights on which affected the handling a bit. I took those off this evening and mowed my lawn and I noticed a big difference in how it handled. Fuel consumption is right around 1.5 gph right now. From everything I have read this is high but I assume once it gets broke in it will improve greatly. The other thing I am not real sure about is it only has a fuel gauge for one tank and a light for the other. I have been running on the tank with the light till it comes on then switching over. I am going to have to read in the manual as when the light comes on how much fuel you have left. I seems to come on when it is at a half a tank or so because it came on today within two hours after I had just fueled up and I looked in the tank and there was a lot of fuel left in there yet. This may be something I can adjust or have the dealer adjust if it is coming on to early. I am going to sharpen blades after the mowing route tomorrow. I checked under the deck today and it is still extremely clean with little build up. I will post some pics of the beast tomorrow. Does anyone know if this is normal on the fuel light? And Kubota owners does the fuel economy get better once broke in?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel Light

As far as I can tell this is normal for the fuel light. I have the same "problem" on my ZD326, but I don't push it and just refuel after about 3 hrs on each tank. From what I understand, the last thing you want to happen is to get air into the fuel lines. I believe the manual says to filter the fuel to ensure you don't get water into the tanks, and it's a pain, but I also filter all the fuel that I load too! The manual also calls for a daily greasing of all the zerks, although the on-line service list only calls out every 50 hrs or so. I checked with my dealer service manager and he said they should be greased at least every 8 hrs, so I basically grease every week. The zerks on the two shafts can be problematic to access, but I load the rear on some ramps so I can get at them better and then manually rotate the deck shaft by hand to position the zerks where they are pointing down. The same can be done on the shaft that goes between the motor and transmission by manually rotating the motor using the flywheel. Got about 90 hrs on mine so far and absolutely no problems. One solid mower! I may get the bagger this fall and am wandering how much does it add to the width of the mower? Thanks, and enjoy that beast!

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we have them, and love them. very easy to maintain. i can assure you that greasing every day is extreme. we have over 1000hrs in each machine, and never an issue, only grease about 50 hrs or so.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Post up some pics when you get the chance.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check them front anti-scalp wheel pins!!

Had the left front anti-scalp wheel assembly come off today and it went under the mower deck and made a real mess of the wheel assembly. Didn't mess up the blades at all though. Will wire the new pins to ensure they won't come off again. It's a good idea to keep a sharp eye out for a pin that comes off.
Attached Images

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

been there, done that. easily solved with bolts, since we never change the height of them anyhow. most times, a juniper shrub or pine tree will unhinge the clip.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have owned the 21 28 and 331. The 331 is by far the best machine of the three.The light comes on mine about half empty also.Its been awhile since i read the owners manual.But i think its says the left tank is the primary tank and the right is the aux tank.once you get her broke in you can figure about one gallon per hour.As for greasing i try to grease once a week or every 10 hours.Except the drive shaft about every 25 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a pic of the Kubota. I am going to take a few more for you guys. I will take some of the striping kit, bagger off the machine, bagger attachment points on the mower and what it looks like with the machine jack.
Name:  Kubota 2.jpg
Views: 2144
Size:  86.6 KB
Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have recently purchased two ZD331's and a ZG227. I am having a major issue with scalping, leaving an uneven cut and loads of stringers sticking up out of all three units. Mowers were taken back to dealer and decks on all 3 are the way they should be. I have noticed on both 331's that there seems to be alot of play in the steering on both units. Which makes them har to control at times. They don't seem to be very responsive when compared to other mowers I have owned. Anyone have anything they can pass on about these issues I am having?