Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2015, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Landscape fabric charge?

What should I charge for landscape fabric installation? By the ft² or by linear ft? Seems ft² makes more sense but how much? Guessing $.25 at the minimum per ft². Trying to learn all aspects s of this s business. Thanks for all the help guys and come on spring...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2015, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the cost to you? How long to install? What's your hourly rate? If you have to cut in around a single bush it's easy. A hundred bushes, not so much. Landscape fabric around here is a touchy subject, mainly because long term, it doesn't work unless you do all the work you would do normally to keep a bed weed free. If the customer/job requires it, aims for the moon. Bermuda doesn't recognize it as a weed control tool and will grow straight through it.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
What's the cost to you? How long to install? What's your hourly rate? If you have to cut in around a single bush it's easy. A hundred bushes, not so much. Landscape fabric around here is a touchy subject, mainly because long term, it doesn't work unless you do all the work you would do normally to keep a bed weed free. If the customer/job requires it, aims for the moon. Bermuda doesn't recognize it as a weed control tool and will grow straight through it.
I thought about just putting 3 inches of mulch and sparay it routinely to prevent the weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2015, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Landscape fabric charge?

Some people use newspaper to choke the weeds. It's an organic gardening trick that apparently works and it's good for the soil and worms.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I would use it on a customer but for my own yard I've used newspapers, 4+ layers thick works wonders. It works great if it isn't windy and you have time and enough paper.
Exmark Viking 36"
Echo SRM-230, PAS-266, PB-770T
Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch, preemergent, over the top or round up are all you need to keep the weeds at bay.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

If you install it, what do you charge?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2015, 04:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do Not waste your time and your customers money on landscape fabric. This material is useless since the weed seed will germinate on top of the fabric and your customer will hold you responsible. Maintain a 3" depth of mulch and treat as necessary with pre/post emergent applications, if of course your licensed in the state of Florida. Otherwise hirer a licensed PCO to take care of this matter for you.
easy-lift guy
Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
If you install it, what do you charge?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't install it because it doesn't work long term. That is how I sell NOT doing it to the customer. AND, I tell them how expensive it is. I've never installed it in close to 20yrs of business.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on what fabric you are using. If you are using a 100 ft roll of $5 weed fabric, then no its not going to work. If you use a good commercial grade fabric it will work, and it is worth putting down. It will not prevent weeds entirely but it does help. In 25 years of business I have never NOT installed fabric in a new landscape.

As for what to charge, there are too many variables for you to have a set per area charge. Every area will be different. Figure out you material cost. Figure how long it will take you to install, and then charge accordingly.