Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

they "love you" when you are standing in front of them! As soon as you walk out they are thinking...what a weirdo!

Thats commercial man! Zero loyalty..lowest bid wins...and they will drop you at the drop of a hat!

You just have to keep pounding the phones, constant follow up..sometimes it takes a year or 2 to lock in a stop.

You just dont get it by having a bid turned in. Build a relationship with the people besides banter, everyone banters when they want a sell.

commercial is a lot of work and a lot of heart ache!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to find something that makes you stand out. maybe work on the " We are more environmentally GREEN". Or our equipment is "State of the art". This and photos of you mowing large commercial lawns would really help.
You need to just one-up on the guy thats mowing the account now. I cant tell you just what that is, but you get the idea.

Also sharp dress appearance, your truck is spotless, photos of your equipment all look like new. Find something about the guy you meeting with in advance and shock him with your knowledge and like interests (sports teams, college affiliation). I have set and waited in the parking lot and watched the employees leave work and come to find out there was several people that I knew form past ventures. Go look them you and ask them 50 question about the bosses or manager of the grounds. Basically get to know the guy well before you every meet him again.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got news for ya, there are some business relationships in the DFW Market that can not be breeched. Some of these accounts do not want cheap they want Class A and they are not going to risk it with you over a few dollars.

You want those accounts then you take the ugliest property you can find and you make it look like the best landscape in the city. Even then you are going to have to network and advertise and demonstrate you can do this for about 5 to 6 years and then people will listen to you.

There are other accounts that all they want is cheap reliable service. You need to figure out what type or class of property you are chasing and stay on that class.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If they "loved you" you would already have the jobs. Sounds like they are on to your sales pitch. Asking current pricing seems very unprofessional to me.

You need to be active in your business community. Join the Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, attend Business after hours etc. Im usually the only landscaper there!! Oops just gave away one of my secrets....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
If they "loved you" you would already have the jobs. Sounds like they are on to your sales pitch. Asking current pricing seems very unprofessional to me.

You need to be active in your business community. Join the Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, attend Business after hours etc. Im usually the only landscaper there!! Oops just gave away one of my secrets....
Posted via Mobile Device
I have considered those venues particularly in the town of my residence but I would not consider that a the best choice for a city like Dallas or Fort Worth.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
I'm running down there today and sign up. I'm going to be rich. j/k
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im telling ya. No better way than to mingle with other business owners, small town or city. I have landed the business and home of many at these events. It doesnt happen right away but it happens. Its not what you know its who you know. Business owners talk with each other and word of mouth is huge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Im telling ya. No better way than to mingle with other business owners, small town or city. I have landed the business and home of many at these events. It doesnt happen right away but it happens. Its not what you know its who you know. Business owners talk with each other and word of mouth is huge.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think I saw Ross Perot, Mark Cuban and Jerry Jones at the Rotary just last week.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe you. I haven't stepped into that area yet. I know a few other business owners (not in lawn care) that have set me up with a few jobs. I don't advertize either. I get about 80% of the work I price out. Now before you say I can't be charging enough, I average well over $60 an hr while just mowing lawns on a weekly basis. I don't like the idea at all of leaving money on the table as they say. It has to be my work ethic and the quality of work that is moving me up. I got one phone call that has lead to 8 new mowing accounts this coming season as well as 14 driveways and two private roads to keep open at all times. A bunch of doctors live up on a mountain top and I got all of them. 4 mulch jobs come spring and I haven't even talked to the others about anything other then snow removal!

With all that said, I STILL want to get out there with the local commerce and attend meetings and stuff. Talk with other business owners and such.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlandco View Post
It works out Ok, all sales reps are different. Some are better then others. Some are good at getting new clients some are good at selling to existing clients.
Pay-
There are a lot of different ways that people pay. A skilled sales rep will take a low salary with high commission as oppose to a not so skilled rep that will take a higher salary and a lower commission. But everyones different , there are skilled reps that want a secure and steady paycheck so they take the higher salary.
I met a guy that was in construction, and as a side job he was sort of a sales rep. He would charge the landscaper 50% of what the property would pay for the first month as a finders fee. All he would do was get people in the door and make a killing on the side from his everyday job.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hear ya, In the past when ivetried they want a pretty big base and a decent percentage... I always said no its one or the other... Ended up being a big head ache...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com