Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I got news for ya, there are some business relationships in the DFW Market that can not be breeched. Some of these accounts do not want cheap they want Class A and they are not going to risk it with you over a few dollars.

You want those accounts then you take the ugliest property you can find and you make it look like the best landscape in the city. Even then you are going to have to network and advertise and demonstrate you can do this for about 5 to 6 years and then people will listen to you.

There are other accounts that all they want is cheap reliable service. You need to figure out what type or class of property you are chasing and stay on that class.
Agreed- Ive already chosen a class of apartment complex im going after. the higher class apartments all have the top companies already and theyve locked them up. You know those big companies around here..

Ive set in ion the mid range complexs, not sleezy ones but the medium nice ones. All the people are friendly and the complexes are the $1200-$3000 per month range..

Trucks always clean when i show up and im all prettied up.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for all the advice. Im going to re evaluate a few tactics and see what i come up with..

Old 12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
I hear ya, In the past when ivetried they want a pretty big base and a decent percentage... I always said no its one or the other... Ended up being a big head ache...
It takes a lot of practice to become a good sales rep. Some people have it some don't. You have to be a people person or else its just not going to work out. IMO the best sales reps are the owners, no one cares as much as an owner and when a potential client knows he/she are talking to the owner they feel more secure about switching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with that!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Agreed- Ive already chosen a class of apartment complex im going after. the higher class apartments all have the top companies already and theyve locked them up. You know those big companies around here..

Ive set in ion the mid range complexs, not sleezy ones but the medium nice ones. All the people are friendly and the complexes are the $1200-$3000 per month range..

Trucks always clean when i show up and im all prettied up.

It is ruthless out there in some groups. I suppose I could have worked harder as I was pretty well known but not as a landscaper. I came from the commercial building industry and getting my foot in the door was hard. Early on, if I did land an account some one killed me. I have learned a lot but also found my Niche.