Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

School me on sweeper trucks.

I'm looking to start offering parking lot and road sweeping for commercial and HOA properties. With that said I'm not looking to throw tons of cash at a truck, and need to know what things commonly go wrong with these type trucks. I've been looking at the truck I've linked to('07 GMC w4500 w/Schware S347 sweeper unit) for about a month now. It's got roughly 225k on the odometer, and it's a 5.2 Isuzu I-4 diesel. It appears to be a little rough exterior wise, but it's by far the cheapest truck of it's kind that I have come across. So, would you take a risk on it? Keep in mind the truck is in NJ and I am in NC, so I haven't seen it in person. Let me know your thoughts on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whoops! Forgot the link.

http://m.truckpaper.com/ListingDetai...categoryId=269
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If your trying to get into it with a small budget, that might be the way to go until you build enough work for it. Nothing worse than dropping money on a piece of equipment and then years later still not having enough work to justify it.

We picked up a slide in unit for one of our trucks with the idea that we would use it to build a route, then once demand justified it, we would buy a new dedicated sweeper truck such as the one you posted (but new/newer). We never built up another work to do so. Now the slide in unit gets used maybe 12 times a year. When Other small sweeping contractors we know have a piece of equipment go down or fall behind schedule and sub us to help out.