Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

why are Dodge HD trucks so much cheaper?

Im not knocking dodge but when it comes to over all sales between the big three ford is 1 gmc 2 chevy 3 and dodge is 4 and toyota tundra is last.
I just picked up my copy of diesel power jan 2013 and dodge has finally stepped up and an is giving the option of the asisn trans in their hd ho model trucks originally only available it the 4500 and 5500 trucks. Imo the trans is what stopped most people from buying them.
Ill be taking a good hard look at them this year.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I agree Ram is stepping their product up a notch with the 2013.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicLawnCareInc View Post
I just checked that website. The cheapest 2012 ram 3500 is 36,700$ which is about 9k off msrp which is what any dealership should do on a leftover 12 model. If you check all of their internet pricing each truck is about 9k off msrp.
they had 4 on there earlier in the week, two white, a red, and a silver all between $31,9 and $33... I've been out of town for the weekend and see that they are all gone.

Still outside of the transmission difference between the Dodge and others any particular logic as to why having all the branded spec'd out the same side by side the Dodge has a significantly lower sticker price?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All I know is I priced out a ton of Rams and Fords and from what I saw from the window sticker was the Fords were about 1,000$ difference. So for that dealer to be marking them down that much I duno why other than they have over 100 Rams for sale. Even on that Ram dealer website the MSRP was the same as any other dealer out there the only difference youll find is the sale price.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I'm somewhat starting to look around for a new personal truck, currently have an '04 Avalanche with 110k. I'm definitely going 3/4 ton+ and definitely need a crew cab (wife+ 2 young boys). Trying to compare apples to apples along the brands the Dodge is at least $9k cheaper just based on sticker price along without even doing any negotiating.
What dealer? I'm not a Dodge guy, but a brand new Cummins for $31,000! I'd be all over that.

In my area for a 1 ton diesel w/single CD, power windows/doors, power driver side and the other standards the dodge sticker is $31,500. GMC and Chevy stripped down w/duramax are at least $42k.

I've noticed online at some Dodge dealers in the Carolinas similar prices on their trucks. I had two Dakotas growing up, but all of my work fleet are GMs. I've got nothing against a Dodge, I'm just trying to figure why they are so much cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Disregard my last post. I just saw you posted the dealers name already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe74 View Post
Im not knocking dodge but when it comes to over all sales between the big three ford is 1 gmc 2 chevy 3 and dodge is 4 and toyota tundra is last.
I just picked up my copy of diesel power jan 2013 and dodge has finally stepped up and an is giving the option of the asisn trans in their hd ho model trucks originally only available it the 4500 and 5500 trucks. Imo the trans is what stopped most people from buying them.
Ill be taking a good hard look at them this year.
Do add to that they are redoing the steering linkages on them. They had issues on the 2012 my gf father is the ceo of the company that makes and designs all the steering linkages for ford, gm, and dodge trucks and they are finally letting them do their thing like what ford has let them do for a number of years. Also dodge is the only one who has a manual anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know where the other trucks are manufactured but both of my ram 4500s the 2011 and 2012 were made in Mexico. Perhaps its cheaper with out labor unions that said you can take that 31k price and times it by 2. Course we aren't comparing options or the fact that includes the nearly 9 k up-fit cost to make them into dump trucks.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I don't think the $31k is a bad price at all, but I just don't see the GM dealers coming down that much.
Supply and demand. If they raised the price they would not sell any.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that does seem wayyyyy too low...my guess is they are a high volume dealership, they simply have the best price around to sell the most