Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did get an email back from of the local GMC/Chevy dealers (Ramey) and the guy there said they will only stock diesels with certain minimum specs and if I wanted anything less they could order one, but it wouldn't be that much cheaper.

I know my '04 avalanche was assembled in Mexico, both of my '04 3500's 1 vortex/1 duramax are both USA. I just haven't spent enough time looking under the body outside of engines and transmissions. I do know a couple of guys who have '07 Dodges w/Cummins and have had issues with the turbos, but other than that. I know the history of the Ford's and the 6.0 but I haven't heard anyone say anything about the new engines.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the new 6.7 power stroke is supposed to be pretty good...i actually haven't heard anything negative about them yet...they all have the emissions on them now so it's now like you are buying the 5.9 cummins that seems to be every diesel mechanics favorite engine...with that being said they have over compensated for the loss of power with the emissions, so if you take it all off you will have a beast of a truck!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
the new 6.7 power stroke is supposed to be pretty good...i actually haven't heard anything negative about them yet...they all have the emissions on them now so it's now like you are buying the 5.9 cummins that seems to be every diesel mechanics favorite engine...with that being said they have over compensated for the loss of power with the emissions, so if you take it all off you will have a beast of a truck!

Buddy of mine has the 6.7 stroker engine blew up under 100 thousand. Girlfriends family friend owns a business called truck equipment bought 4 brand new strokers with the 6.7 a couple years ago 3 of them have new engines. Under warranty luckily but i won't go anywhere near a stroker unless it is the 7.3
Old 12-17-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad's boss has either a '90 or '91 I think it's the 1st year Dodge offered the Cummins, it's the one without the intercooler, it's got a little over 400k original miles on it. I'd like to go with a diesel because I plan on keeping it for the long run and to eventually change it over to a work truck. I'm getting between 13-15mpg now on all three trucks (5.3, 6.0, 6.6) it's just that diesel is about .80/gal more than gas. Eh, just a lot of talking out loud. Once tax time comes around I may be selling everything off!