Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-03-2015, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Pro turfs starting up

Let me start by introducing myself,
My name is Tom, I am 15 years old, (will be 16 in april) so will have a license by time mowing starts. I have ran my small company with my dad for 3 years, i only got 10 accounts max. 99% craigslist. I had my permit so i drove everywhere for lawns learned to drive with my trailer then used my profits from my cut of the business to buy new equipment, i recently pulled the trigger on a 2000 chevy 2500 with a plow, got a good deal couldn't pass it up!! i bought it to flip but I'm considering since i was able to buy in cash without bank loan i would just keep it good work truck. I'm wondering what the best way for me to go from 10 accounts to 50 accounts in 1 summer.. i now feel like i have the experience needed for the work along with the business part I'm very good at web marketing i made a nice website with a good Facebook business page, I'm just looking for opinions on how you started i would like to gain as many accounts as possible more then 50 would be okay of course i want to make enough to upgrade my mowers and such like that.

OPINIONS? please keep rude comments to yourself

but be honest, is it possible? what should i do? i have a really nice b&w flier but passing out a ton of fliers isn't ideal way because many dont even call.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome. I too am looking to gain more accounts. It's great to have a website, but without search engine optimization a website is usless. Door hangers or flyers is a good place to start, a newspaper ad, keep the Craigslist going, and maybe letter your truck or get a sign for the trailer gate as well. I've had ok luck with the door hangers in the past, I do it because they are cheap way to generate business. They may not need your service but maybe their family members do.

Make sure how ever you advertise you stand out in some way from your competitors.

Offer something other guys can't. For example put dependable, reliable, frustration free scheduled service. Or something similar. People want a guy who will show up every week and do exactly what they say they will do. And every week they know that they can count on you to be there.

Best of luck for 2015!
Matt

My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFm...MwXFuPEoNTyvyg

2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
"Work smarter not harder"
Old 01-03-2015, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gaining accounts truly is not as simple as sending 5-10-100 or a thousand flyers,post cards or letters.
It takes time to build a customer base. People need to see a name, see a truck, see a trailer before they are aware of any business. Build a good reputation, prove to be reliable. Door hangers, post cards mailers. Target where you want to work.

Learn about your target area. What are the demographics?
The area in a county,state or region you live in will have an impact on your growth.
In an area that has population growth with new housing on the rise, a service company grows with little effort. It creates lots of jobs/ business. Population declines does exactly opposite, less people less work.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Treat your current customers well and they will treat you well. Youre getting an early start at this, which is good. Remember that you have to maintain a school life as well. 50 account may be a little high unless your dad is working with you full time.
18ft heavy duty landscape trailer
14 ft gooseneck dump box
Echo trimmers and blowers
Stihl hedge trimmers and chainsaws
19 yrs old
Old 01-03-2015, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwilson27 View Post
Treat your current customers well and they will treat you well. Youre getting an early start at this, which is good. Remember that you have to maintain a school life as well. 50 account may be a little high unless your dad is working with you full time.
thanks for the advise! i was thinking about that, i have the option to take a career school and get out of school at 12 everyday and then i would have 2 online classes, but my problem would be 50 accounts, aka 50 fall clean ups as I'm in school during fall clean up time and it takes so much time to do them.. def something i have to do some thinking
Old 01-03-2015, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
Welcome. I too am looking to gain more accounts. It's great to have a website, but without search engine optimization a website is usless. Door hangers or flyers is a good place to start, a newspaper ad, keep the Craigslist going, and maybe letter your truck or get a sign for the trailer gate as well. I've had ok luck with the door hangers in the past, I do it because they are cheap way to generate business. They may not need your service but maybe their family members do.

Make sure how ever you advertise you stand out in some way from your competitors.

Offer something other guys can't. For example put dependable, reliable, frustration free scheduled service. Or something similar. People want a guy who will show up every week and do exactly what they say they will do. And every week they know that they can count on you to be there.

Best of luck for 2015!
Matt
Thanks for the reply Matt!! I have a friend who takes graphic arts and is going to college to major in it next year also! i talked to her about it and she has all the equipment to make a nice decal and logo sticker for a car, i could do that and then letter my truck door with my log and number and then put something like free estimates and my number again on the bed!! I'll take your advice into consideration and see what the best thing to do to " catch " the customers eyes! thanks for the reply!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
Gaining accounts truly is not as simple as sending 5-10-100 or a thousand flyers,post cards or letters.
It takes time to build a customer base. People need to see a name, see a truck, see a trailer before they are aware of any business. Build a good reputation, prove to be reliable. Door hangers, post cards mailers. Target where you want to work.

Learn about your target area. What are the demographics?
The area in a county,state or region you live in will have an impact on your growth.
In an area that has population growth with new housing on the rise, a service company grows with little effort. It creates lots of jobs/ business. Population declines does exactly opposite, less people less work.
Although being a high school student I'm at the time where i dont need as much money as someone who has a house and a kid, but i dont want to under bid and have very lawn company around here hot headed and upset with me.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I would look into Google adwords, and try to get your company name out there as many different places/ways as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proturftc View Post
Let me start by introducing myself,
My name is Tom, I am 15 years old, (will be 16 in april) so will have a license by time mowing starts. I have ran my small company with my dad for 3 years, i only got 10 accounts max. 99% craigslist. I had my permit so i drove everywhere for lawns learned to drive with my trailer then used my profits from my cut of the business to buy new equipment, i recently pulled the trigger on a 2000 chevy 2500 with a plow, got a good deal couldn't pass it up!! i bought it to flip but I'm considering since i was able to buy in cash without bank loan i would just keep it good work truck. I'm wondering what the best way for me to go from 10 accounts to 50 accounts in 1 summer.. i now feel like i have the experience needed for the work along with the business part I'm very good at web marketing i made a nice website with a good Facebook business page, I'm just looking for opinions on how you started i would like to gain as many accounts as possible more then 50 would be okay of course i want to make enough to upgrade my mowers and such like that.

OPINIONS? please keep rude comments to yourself

but be honest, is it possible? what should i do? i have a really nice b&w flier but passing out a ton of fliers isn't ideal way because many dont even call.
your season is what april to November? What are you going to do with 50 customers come august when you have to go back to school?

Take it easy, maybe add 10-15 more customers max.
you're 16, slow down tiger.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
your season is what april to November? What are you going to do with 50 customers come august when you have to go back to school?

Take it easy, maybe add 10-15 more customers max.
you're 16, slow down tiger.
Well said, I'm 17, but i don't want no 50 accounts lol. I'm shooting for 20k gross for 2015, and around 30-35 customers. Don't want to go higher than 35. I'll have one full time helper which makes work easier and less stressful.

My Equipment thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=425995

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFm...MwXFuPEoNTyvyg

2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
"Work smarter not harder"