Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-03-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Knock on the door or not?

I say knock on the door. It's how I've been surviving since I started up in early October this year. I don't lie or cheat, I just ask for the business. Roughly one in seven doors knocked produces a receptive prospect. Out of three prospects one agrees to a price, we shake hands and schedule work. Usually starting right then. Out of five jobs, I get some kind of maintenance set up.
That's one maintenance account for every 105 doors. Almost exactly what I've read is an expected ratio of return on flyering. However I've also got five cleanups on top of that... thoughts?
When I don't get a door answered, i simply leave my flyer and I haven't even factored those calls in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dirty Boy; 12-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How long does it take you to knock on 100 doors? And this isn't just knocking, this is 100 conversations with people right?

And still not rich

Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Good question, I keep a tick mark sheet to keep track of ratios, but I've never made it to a hundred doors before someone has hired me. I don't stop three feet from gold though. If it's ten o'clock am and I don't have any work I keep going until i get hired. If it's after three, i schedule for the next day unless it's a small job. Go Sox! And no, it is a hundred doors knocked. I think it's 14 or 15 conversations with someone who's receptive...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dirty Boy; 12-03-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it works for you then keep doing it. Good job.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Boy View Post
Good question, I keep a tick mark sheet to keep track of ratios, but I've never made it to a hundred doors before someone has hired me. I don't stop three feet from gold though. If it's ten o'clock am and I don't have any work I keep going until i get hired. If it's after three, i schedule for the next day unless it's a small job. Go Sox! And no, it is a hundred doors knocked. I think it's 14 or 15 conversations with someone who's receptive...
Posted via Mobile Device
In my opinion it seems like a tough way to make sales, and a serious time sink. There's got to be better ways.

BUT..,that's easy for me to say in my position. If you have more time than money right now, and knocking on doors is working for you....then by all means keep at it. As soon as you get some regular money coming in though, I'd seriously suggest finding more efficient ways of advertising.

Good luck

And still not rich

Old 12-04-2014, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Boy View Post
I say knock on the door. It's how I've been surviving since I started up in early October this year. I don't lie or cheat, I just ask for the business. Roughly one in seven doors knocked produces a receptive prospect. Out of three prospects one agrees to a price, we shake hands and schedule work. Usually starting right then. Out of five jobs, I get some kind of maintenance set up.
That's one maintenance account for every 105 doors. Almost exactly what I've read is an expected ratio of return on flyering. However I've also got five cleanups on top of that... thoughts?
When I don't get a door answered, i simply leave my flyer and I haven't even factored those calls in.
Posted via Mobile Device
It has always been said that the key to get a lot of sales is PROSPECTING which means "personal contact". When doing this, it's important to respect the "No Soliciting/No Handbills" signs. Also check the local ordinances in your target markets to see if their are any restrictions or permits needed to do door-to-door sales.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I've never knocked or flyered a no soliciting door or neighborhood. They put the little signs up as though they don't work for someone who sells something... Someone once told me the husband puts up those signs to keep his wife from buying from everyone that knocks on his door. I couldn't be bothered to ruin my day by being chewed out by a homeowner for knocking a no soliciting door. Then the cops etc., etc. Just a hassle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats your presentation?
I started doing the same thing with about the same results. More interested than you but less landed. Then i tried just leaving the flyer without knocking. Out of about 100 doors i only got 2 calls. I think i will be going back to the knocking method.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi, my name is Will. I run a little yardcare company. (Point to your equipment, you did park in eyesight right) and back awayfrom the door to draw the customer out. Once they have seen your truck you continue. "Now I'm not much of a salesman, but I do a few yards in the area and have been by yours a few times." By this time you should have them drawn out of the house. This decreases their comfort zone and increases yours. I'm ultimately trying to get them to look at their yard from the curb before I ever mention price. It's pretty much ad lib from there, obviously you want to go slow until they start giving you "buying signs" They will stop squaring up to you and "come to your side" that way your both looking at the "problem" together. None will buy anything unless it solves a problem for them. Find that problem and show them that your the solution. They are buyers. (No-one likes to be sold something but they do like to buy) Since your "not much of a salesman", they will buy from you. Once they are buyers, justify the price by adding value. Keep one ace up your sleeve for when they are on the fence. But never speak after your closing question. After your closing question, the first one to speak loses. They may give you an objection but that is just static, you reply with "so if *blank* wasn't a problem it sounds like you would go ahead with scheduling your work?" Usually they will say yes. If they say no, walk away they are just gonna keep bsing. After they say yes, you show them why *blank* really isn't a problem and schedule the work. One sentence. Say something like this "So since if i do *this* *blank* won't be a problem does tomorrow or the day after work better for you?" Pull out your phone like your ready to schedule em and don't look at them again. They may want let off the hook you just got em by. If you look at em, you a lot more apt to let em go.

These are sales techniques and they take time to learn. Your going to get objections that leave you standing there speachless. Win or lose, wrote it down and in your drive or free time think of what you should have said. Better yet, wrote down a ton of objections and the best rebuttals for them on opposite sides of index cards. If you have kids, have them quiz you on them during family time. They will have a ball and you will become desensitized to the objection over time. I've got more but that should get you started.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2014, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a pretty good approach. I'll give it a try but i'm not sure it will work to well in my area. Half the time people only crack the door open. I'm getting shirts and hats made so hopefully that will help people to relax and not think i'm trying to case the joint haha.