Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

need help with a stump quote

I know this isnt the right site, i should ask this in tree services.com or whatever, but i didnt feel like creating a new account over there just to ask this one question.

Any way, guy has 200 (foot and a half in diameter) pine stumps to be removed. They had been growing for close to 20 years, just cut back in 2010, so most of these stumps are good fat lighter.

I am going to rent a backhoe loader that is $1290 a week. He wants them dug up, so grinding isnt an option. and I own the stumps after they come out of the ground.

I know a guy with a couple dump trucks, and he is willing to haul these stumps off for me for free, since they are fat lighter and he can sell them to a wood products plant near me.

He doesnt want me to put in fill dirt, he will do that himself.

This job is going to take a little over two weeks, according to my calculations. 200 stumps@ 2 stumps up per hour = approx 100 hrs. The back hoe loader, based on a 40 hr work week is $32/ hr alone. I have to make $20 per hour and my operator is going to make $12.50 per hour.

so thats $65/ hr. i was thinking quoting this guy $6700. is this the right way to calculate my quote? This is going to be my biggest job yet, if he accepts my quote, and im just wondering if im on the right track.

Thanks,
Zack
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything

Last edited by zackvbra; 12-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds very low to me.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Sounds very low to me.
First of all, you need to charge for the hauling, too. Also, you need more than $20.00 per hour for yourself. Are the utilities located. Just a few things to think about.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think 2 stump's an hour is way too optimistic. I've seen stump's dug up with a backhoe and it is a giant mess. Do you realize what 200 big hole's is going to look like, if i coudn't grind those stump's i woudn't even consider it.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need a D 9 or 10 for this job.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pine stumps are easy but i would get the biggest excavator you could fit and afford.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just because you are getting it hauled away for free doesnt mean that he doesnt have to pay. I would also bump up your hourly rate as others have mentioned. Good Luck

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
I think 2 stump's an hour is way too optimistic. I've seen stump's dug up with a backhoe and it is a giant mess. Do you realize what 200 big hole's is going to look like, if i coudn't grind those stump's i woudn't even consider it.
Bingo. I would skip the backhoe idea, wheeled machines and stump holes dont mesh too well. I would factor in a price for the hauling, is there access to the whole property for the dump trucks to maneuver around, or will you be stockpiling the stumps then loading trucks at the end? I would either use a dozer of a fairly large excavator with thumb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think I would touch it for less than $100/stump.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Bingo. I would skip the backhoe idea, wheeled machines and stump holes dont mesh too well. I would factor in a price for the hauling, is there access to the whole property for the dump trucks to maneuver around, or will you be stockpiling the stumps then loading trucks at the end? I would either use a dozer of a fairly large excavator with thumb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Going rate for a 312 sized machine is $120 per hour. A good operator should be able to grub those stumps out in 40-50 hrs depending on how large the lot is and how much walking the machine has to do to stockpile the stumps for loading. Rent an excavator, trust me, backhoes are useless at popping that many stumps vs. an excavator.