Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can steal wifi almost anywhere by me. No way I'm paying for a data plan on my phone and a tablet.
Can you use a usb disk drive and install programs like realtime landscape pro on the surface?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtkeith View Post
Have you thought about the new Microsoft Surface?
(in the spirit of disclosure, my winter work is at a Microsoft retail store)
It has a full version of Microsoft Office 2013 built in from the factory
2 styles of covers- and both have built in keybords!!
full size USB port right on the side
Skydrive- all of your stuff gets instantly synced between computer/phone/surface/web. I use this for billing. And everything else.
built in kickstand-with a cover and kickstand, the form is a laptop.
2 HD cameras- great for documenting work
live tiles on the start screen to keep you up to date at a glance (mail, calendar, weather, everything else)
full IE10 web browser with adobe flash
8.5-9 hour battery life (what I've been getting) and it charges back up in 2

This little rig has been great for me and my business. If you have any questions, please ask on this thread or feel free to PM me!!
I'd wait for the surface pro instead of the RT. The RT is like the ipad compared to macbook. Don't think of it as a full computer.

If you wait next month for the surface pro to come out, it is a full computer with i5 processor. You could completely replace your laptop with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsyscapes View Post
i would rather get a surface than an ipad, but, the surface is wifi only so it had to be used at your home. not worth 600 buks to me.

i think the whole point of a tablet is to use it out in the field, and have internet. but thats just me.
Exact reason why I haven't bought one yet. I could get a wireless router but that's $65 a month, while the ipad is only $30. So money is money. So far sticking with my ipads, unless microsoft pulls their heads out of their ass and puts 3g in the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
You can steal wifi almost anywhere by me. No way I'm paying for a data plan on my phone and a tablet.
Can you use a usb disk drive and install programs like realtime landscape pro on the surface?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not here. Your lucky to find a unlocked wifi. You'd screw yourself if you needed to find customer info and cant because you dont have internet access when you counted on it.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Surface starts at $499. I usually suggest the 32gb surface with a touch cover for $599. Most smartphones anymore have a hotspot feature, or as someone pointed out, Wi-Fi is almost everywhere.

Good point bringing up the Pro v. RT. The RT only runs apps from the built-in Windows Store. It is quite extensive already, and truly does grow daily. If you have questions about a particular app, feel free to ask and I can check, or swing by your local computer shop and check it out on a Surface or Windows 8 machine.
Another few things about the pro v. rt.. don't take this as putting down the pro, it will be a great rig for many people. I just don't think it has its place in the field yet.
The battery life will be about half as long as the RT (around 4.5 hours)
it will be about half as thick again (I believe around 14mm.. still very small for what it is)
the price will be starting at $899 for a 64gb machine

The RT has done everything I need so far, I haven't used my laptop since I bought this. The cloud storage integration is great, I have all of the files on my surface, in real time, as I do on my home computer. huge for me.

the number one thing that is killer for me is the Office software built in. Not a day goes by that I don't use this. from billing to taking notes (i'm in hort. school right now) to writing papers and even making up powerpoint presentations to show to (potential) customers, it has been killer.
If you want to check out a surface, head to your local Best Buy, Staples, or if you have one in your town, Microsoft Store. Word of warning, if you do head to BB or Staples, take what they say with a couple grains of salt. I was lucky enough to receive over a month of very in-depth training from Microsoft about Surface and all the rest of the stuff we sell, where I bet those guys might have heard a 3 hour lecture.

again, if you have any questions, please ask. I really do like the surface, and i'm lucky to know its uses in our field
Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post

Exact reason why I haven't bought one yet. I could get a wireless router but that's $65 a month, while the ipad is only $30. So money is money. So far sticking with my ipads, unless microsoft pulls their heads out of their ass and puts 3g in the surface.
By the way- a 4g hotspot on its own costs 30/month from Verizon. i'm sure AT&T is the same. or $20 to add it to a current family plan. Well worth it if you aren't close to Wi-Fi often.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
By the way- a 4g hotspot on its own costs 30/month from Verizon. i'm sure AT&T is the same. or $20 to add it to a current family plan. Well worth it if you aren't close to Wi-Fi often.
Only if you have one their shared plans. I'm not falling for that crap and changing my plans getting rid of my unlimited data for that.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Surface starts at $499. I usually suggest the 32gb surface with a touch cover for $599. Most smartphones anymore have a hotspot feature, or as someone pointed out, Wi-Fi is almost everywhere.

Good point bringing up the Pro v. RT. The RT only runs apps from the built-in Windows Store. It is quite extensive already, and truly does grow daily. If you have questions about a particular app, feel free to ask and I can check, or swing by your local computer shop and check it out on a Surface or Windows 8 machine.
Another few things about the pro v. rt.. don't take this as putting down the pro, it will be a great rig for many people. I just don't think it has its place in the field yet.
The battery life will be about half as long as the RT (around 4.5 hours)
it will be about half as thick again (I believe around 14mm.. still very small for what it is)
the price will be starting at $899 for a 64gb machine

The RT has done everything I need so far, I haven't used my laptop since I bought this. The cloud storage integration is great, I have all of the files on my surface, in real time, as I do on my home computer. huge for me.

the number one thing that is killer for me is the Office software built in. Not a day goes by that I don't use this. from billing to taking notes (i'm in hort. school right now) to writing papers and even making up powerpoint presentations to show to (potential) customers, it has been killer.
If you want to check out a surface, head to your local Best Buy, Staples, or if you have one in your town, Microsoft Store. Word of warning, if you do head to BB or Staples, take what they say with a couple grains of salt. I was lucky enough to receive over a month of very in-depth training from Microsoft about Surface and all the rest of the stuff we sell, where I bet those guys might have heard a 3 hour lecture.

again, if you have any questions, please ask. I really do like the surface, and i'm lucky to know its uses in our field

While you are working in the field. Are you going to use that thing more than 4hrs during the day? If so, then you should not be in the field, you should be in the office. It is a full computer, how do you expect greater than 4hrs.

The pro is a laptop/desktop replacement. Do not compare it to the RT or a ipad. Compare it to a macbook or laptop. Throw in the keyboard and it is truly a laptop.

Still, I'd love the have the surface. But I am not going to inconvenience myself of carrying around a hotspot or connecting it to my phone and draining its battery every time I need the internet.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I let this thread go! With the holidays and a couple snows storm we've had I've been busy haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
Don't go with only a ipad. You need it as a compliment to another.
Yes the plan is to have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeble67 View Post
I to am an Apple guy (you are again warned) and I love the products. I have utilized my iPad several times and don't regret it one bit. I use a Otterbox for it and have never had a problem. I like the way my iPhone, and Mac Book Pro communicate and functions seamlessly. I vote for the Ipad.
I have the iPhone and it seems to connect well with my PC so I'm presuming the iPad would work just as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I am looking to go with something like this Samsung. It is a larger tablet at 11.6", and can dock with a separate keyboard to make it much like a laptop. I need a tablet for the new software we are going with, which is Hindsite Solutions. With the tablet in the field, I can easily enter all the info from the jobsite, which then uploads back to QB at the office. Then if I'm doing a lot of QB data entry, or word/excel/photo type work, I can dock with the keyboard.

My current laptop, which is on its second battery that is almost shot, will live at the office with QB and the full Hindsite software on it. I can access both with a secondary program that lets me log in remotely. I've never used a Mac/Apple machine, and don't want to change over at this point. Not that I have anything against it, just never used either.
I honestly think that I'd like to switch over to Mac at some point, BUT may main issue is I'd have to re-purchase Quickbooks and my landscape design software. Big $$ there. I also have all of my photography and graphics design software from when I went to college (and was purchased at an extremely discounted rate through the college) that I still use all the time. I think I'm kinda stuck in the PC world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
If the battery is dead, why not buy a new one? I find you will need a laptop or desktop for certain applications, and then a tablet will work in others. You might need to think about an integrated approach to design, estimates, billing, etc.
its not so much the battery, I have my laptop wired up like a desktop with a separate keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, etc. So anytime I want to make it mobile, I have all that stuff to unhook.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

My iPad goes to work with me everyday...I use my iPhone as a hotspot for my iPad.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lap tops are so dead. I-pad with a life proof case is the way to go.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get an IPAD and you will not regret it.

In other news, I can't stand when contractors try and show me previous work on there cell phones. This is followed by a quick reply of I am not interested in hiring you. I don't want to look at your crappy cell phone pics on a tiny ass screen. Are you that cheap that you cannot afford a decent camera and learn to take pics?